Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to replace the OE horn with a new Hella version.

On an '01 RT, is the horn in the front side driver's wheel well or is it buried behind the facia (or is it "made by hand" arbitrary)?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Jack it up and remove the front driver-side wheel and you'll have no problem getting to it. It's towards the front of the wheel well, just in front of the A-arm as I recall.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
McGuireV10 said:
Jack it up and remove the front driver-side wheel and you'll have no problem getting to it. It's towards the front of the wheel well, just in front of the A-arm as I recall.
Oh GOOD! I didn't want to remove the damn bumper!
Thanks. :thumb:

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slow Eddie said:
So you finally caved and bought that "Godfather" airhorn you've always wanted?
/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Actually just got tired of being ignored. In NYC a horn gets used CONSTANTLY! Got a Hella 118db jobber that should get respect from the hakipak cab driving crowd!

·
Registered
542 Posts
CitySnake said:
Slow Eddie said:

Actually just got tired of being ignored. In NYC a horn gets used CONSTANTLY! Got a Hella 118db jobber that should get respect from the hakipak cab driving crowd!
got a link for it? I'm in desparate need of a nice loud, deep tone horn.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
CitySnake said:
Slow Eddie said:

If that doesnt work out let me know. I know a guy who is in the ocean liner blast horn business and I can get you a good deal. :rofl:

I know how damn stubborn those new yorkers can be. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Eddie

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mxblue23 said:
CitySnake said:
Slow Eddie said:

Here Max. This guy is a decent fellow. Good price. Fast shipping.
Susquehanna MotorSports

Call him if you want info. You want the 85115 model.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snake Bitten said:
CitySnake said:
Slow Eddie said:

Actually just got tired of being ignored.

Did your middle finger quit working???
You are SOOOOOOOOO NOT a New Yorker G! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
A raised middle finger here in the midst of traffic looks like a blade of grass in the ruff.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
CitySnake said:
mxblue23 said:
CitySnake said:
Slow Eddie said:

Here Max. This guy is a decent fellow. Good price. Fast shipping.
Susquehanna MotorSports

Call him if you want info. You want the 85115 model.
Sweet, I was just asking about such about a month ago! What's required to install this, in detail please!

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had I known, I would have taken some pics.
First of all, the difference is remarkable! Inside, the new horn sounds loud...but outside, you get a headache if you're next to the car. /images/graemlins/smiles Good stuff!

Remove the old "duplex horn" (behind the drivers side front wheel in a Gen 2) and replace it with the new. Just splice the existing wiring to the new horn. You don't need a relay (that's already in the system). You will need to manually solder and attach the wires as the existing modular jacks won't fit. The Hella horns each come with a "metal stalk". Maybe 4 inches long with a hole at the end. I attached them to the car vertically. Overlap the stalks at the holes (with the horns at the top and bottom). You'll need a spacer between them so they don't touch. Add another spacer under them and screw them into the frame just above where the old ones were (picture 2 lollipops attached at the stalks with the candy ends up and down). Bend the top stalk so that the upper horn doesn't touch the spring. Even if it's close, the wheel assembly will move away from the horn as it compresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
CitySnake said:
First of all, the difference is remarkable! Inside, the new horn sounds loud...but outside, you get a headache if you're next to the car. /images/graemlins/smiles Good stuff!

Remove the old "duplex horn" (behind the drivers side front wheel in a Gen 2) and replace it with the new. Just splice the existing wiring to the new horn. You don't need a relay (that's already in the system). You will need to manually solder and attach the wires as the existing modular jacks won't fit. The Hella horns each come with a "metal stalk". Maybe 4 inches long with a hole at the end. I attached them to the car vertically. Overlap the stalks at the holes (with the horns at the top and bottom). You'll need a spacer between them so they don't touch. Add another spacer under them and screw them into the frame just above where the old ones were (picture 2 lollipops attached at the stalks with the candy ends up and down). Bend the top stalk so that the upper horn doesn't touch the spring. Even if it's close, the wheel assembly will move away from the horn as it compresses.
Interesting, I might have to invest in that! Thanks!

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slaughterj said:
CitySnake said:

Interesting, I might have to invest in that! Thanks!
I'll let you know the results of this mod next time I dyno..../images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.