Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you please tell me the torque specs for the central wheel nut comp coupe.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't know the answer to your specific question; however, Dan Cragin is the man to ask. He supports several guys tracking Comp Coupes. PM sent.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If its similar to other center lug setups (i.e. Porsche GT3 Cup car) its generally ~350ft-lbs.

We used a tq-multiplier, others had a 4ft tq wrench.

Tom

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If its similar to other center lug setups (i.e. Porsche GT3 Cup car) its generally ~350ft-lbs.
I assumed that he was talking about the center nut that holds the rear axle shaft to the rear hub/bearing assembly. The comp coupes that I have seen still had the standard 6 lug hub set up for the wheels, rather than a single center lug like the Porsche GT3 Cup car.

I have seen old posts about what they torqued the hub nut to on the Viper racecars (higher than street Vipers); but, didn't want to post that since they didn't specify comp coupes, and I don't know for sure that it is what they were talking about. Better to ask someone who owns one or works on them. If he doesn't get the answer from Dan, I know a another couple of guys who work on them that he could ask.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
325 on the rear according to this:

Viper torque specs for each bolt
While I have seen the spec of 325 n-m = 240 ft-lbs that you point out before on the forums; I have also seen two highly regarded Viper techs that supported Viper Days and NARRA drivers post significantly higher torques for the "racecars."

Just letting the OP know that the numbers are probably different for the comp coupe than the street cars. He just needs to make sure that whatever numbers he reads off of the internet apply to his specific application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your reply, we have use 350 ft/lbs but it seems to be not enough, one rear wheelnut was slightly loose.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thank you all for your reply, we have use 350 ft/lbs but it seems to be not enough, one rear wheel nut was slightly loose.
Yes, I have seen 325-350 ft/lbs posted before on the club forums by the techs working on Viper race cars.
Have you verified that there is not excessive play between the axle and hub splines? I can see that happening if the nut was not tight enough and the spline surfaces were damaged or worn as a result of running it that way for a while. I have encountered a situation like that a long time ago on a rear wheel on a Lotus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts