Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy friend is getting a 97 GTS with the smooth tubes, filters and the older Borla exhaust. Will the car gain any hp with the removal of cats?

·
Premium Member
19,646 Posts
_Mark_ said:
Yes, but I always recommend hi-flows instead. You get almost the full benefit without the smell and I still pass my smog checks.

Smog checks?! What's that? Thank God for Alabama's laws
:thumb: :thumb:

·
Your Opinion = { }
3,714 Posts
_Mark_ said:
Yes, but I always recommend hi-flows instead. You get almost the full benefit without the smell and I still pass my smog checks.
Agreed...I have R/T hi-flo's and a 3" exhaust...nice and loud (Belanger headers helped as well). Loud enough I had the Sheriff's called on me one night. Fun part was that one of the Deputy's got in the snake and he gave it a good revving. I am sure the neighbors hated hearing the car making all that noise with 2 ( yes 2) patrol cars sitting in my drive at 1:30AM :rofl:

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are a lot of variables here depending on your system as some have 2.5" at one point and 3" at other points. Regardless, removing them opens the pipe up at that section, look through the cats once they are out.

·
Premium Member
19,646 Posts
SGC-ZR1 said:
Will he need the rear O2 simms. on a 97?
Nope, usually you'll need them on 99 and newer. The computers look for more info and will throw a code. You should ba safe witht he 97. Also, you can expect about a 10RWHP increase +/- a couple for the removal of the cats.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
_Mark_ said:

I've read that time and time again, but I've never gotten any unusual smell at all. ALTHOUGH I've been around another viper that had the same and it smelled like sulfur. I just don't get it. I know I run more rich than others, but that's all I can think up as far as the differences that may make mine
less "smelly" ???????????????

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Super Squirrel said:
I've read that time and time again, but I've never gotten any unusual smell at all. ALTHOUGH I've been around another viper that had the same and it smelled like sulfur. I just don't get it. I know I run more rich than others, but that's all I can think up as far as the differences that may make mine
less "smelly" ???????????????
That's all we need is another person around here who thinks their exhaust don't stink.

:lolcry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.