Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up at 02 Viper. After driving it off the trailer and parking it in the garage for a few days, the car did not start. I installed a Deltran battery tender cable Jr. on the positive terminal on in the engine bay and the ground bolt under it. It would not charge flashing a red light, my guess was the battery was old and weak. I was able to jumpstart the car, then the tender worked. I pulled the battery out only to find out it was manufactured in 5/21, so it's still pretty new. (Did I screw up some electrical system during my tender install?)

The tender completed the charge, I could see solid green light. I took the car to get smogged and after turning off the car, it would not start again. No rapid fire sound like it did before. Just turn of the key and silence. I smelled a rubber burning smell from the engine bay. And when the car was jumped, the engine had a hard time maintaining RPMs (like a cold start on a old car, where you have to feather the throttle to keep it alive). I figured it was an alternator problem.

I replaced the alternator last night. Yeah! But the car would not start. And now when I plug it into the tender I'm getting a continuous clicking sound (video below). I removed fuse 13 Ignition Off Draw and the clicking stopped.

A video clip (ignore the sound of the airplane flying overhead, I live near an airport) - New video by Lance Wong

Today I was able to jump the car to life. Drove it to the mechanic about 15 miles away. But the moment I stopped the car the battery was dead to the point where I could not open the door! The alternator should have given the battery some juice.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,288 Posts
The electrical regulator is built into the PCM, assuming the Alt is good, you might have a PCM issue. With a bad battery, these cars don't like to keep running, weird things happen. Does it turn over? or just click? I have had weird things happen and it came down to a bad ignition switch on the column.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The electrical regulator is built into the PCM, assuming the Alt is good, you might have a PCM issue. With a bad battery, these cars don't like to keep running, weird things happen. Does it turn over? or just click? I have had weird things happen and it came down to a bad ignition switch on the column.
Thanks for taking your time to read my post and help me!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
FINAL UPDATE: Like other's, it was my battery terminal connection that was loose...if your car won't start. Check that first!
Soooooo, you let the wifey/girlfriend install the battery then? Lefty loosey, righty tighty! :p

·
Premium Member
19,288 Posts
Glad it was something simple

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
your idle as mention it if the battery goes completely dead or you replace it, it had to relearn throttle position and takes a bunch of drive cycles. Use the search to find up about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The alternator is there to maintain the electrical system. Not to charge it. Your lucky you haven't blown more alternators. Always charger with a higer amp charger before driving. If you had tester on the battery when you jumped started, you would hve seen the alternator would be putting out max voltage. This can over heat / burn the alternator. Just a thought.

Ron 2008 SRT Coupe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts