Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't get ahold of any of you stereo gurus last night, but just received a new Alpine receiver, and everything hooks up except for the DIN connector? The Viper has a 8 pin connector, but the back of the Alpine has a different "plug" - where do I get an adapter and is it as simple as just getting an adapter?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
John,

I had an adaptor made (brother is an electrical engineer and does tons of stereo stuff as a hobby)...what kind of attachment is on the back of the new head unit? It may be the same one I have....let me know.
or if you know what you're going, you can cut and splice...

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need an adapter, no cutting and splicing!

Oh, and my 12 or 16 pin connector used to plug into the left side, but the new receiver has the plug more toward the right side, the so the 12 or 16 pin connector in the car is a bit short, I assume there are extensions for this?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
cut and splice DAMNIT! I mean, it's not like your car doesn't have scratches on it already! What's the problem!??? /images/graemlins/smiles Power goes to power, RF speaker goes to RF speaker, LF goes to LF, RR goes to RR, Left Rear goes to LR, Ground goes to ground. Voila!

G

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gerald said:
cut and splice DAMNIT! I mean, it's not like your car doesn't have scratches on it already! What's the problem!??? /images/graemlins/smiles Power goes to power, RF speaker goes to RF speaker, LF goes to LF, RR goes to RR, Left Rear goes to LR, Ground goes to ground. Voila!

G
I'm no electrician, no cutting and splicing for me!

BTW, I noticed without the DIN connector plugged in, the speedo didn't work?!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
That's cuz the vipers stock stereo has a volume adjusting option depending on how fast your driving..

JOhn, You don't have to be an electrician to splice two wires together..

Are all lawyers this stubborn and stupid? /images/graemlins/smiles /images/graemlins/smiles

G

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gerald said:
That's cuz the vipers stock stereo has a volume adjusting option depending on how fast your driving..
Yeah, I figured that was the reason. And me and electricity don't mix! My dad's an electrician, but he's a couple hours away.

·
Super Moderator
28,829 Posts
Well boys and girls here is the lowdown.

American interational used to make an adapter for theis application. they still make a setup for the twp speaker style, but this is a four channel system

You can order the factory plug from Alpine through United Radio in Syracuse NY. this can be built to fit your application. as needed.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just called United Radio (1-800-448-0944), and they said they only have factory plugs, nothing that would enable the aftermarket receiver to be hooked in - do I order some factory component and get it modified??

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
curciut city has them....some circuit cities...

for all of those out there that think all stereo stores stock the she same stuff, not true. Even circuit city..some do and some don't. it's retarded, I know, but even large stereo places aren't consistent. Hopefully you'll find one. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the piece I need the adapter for is listed as for a CD changer, and since I don't have one, why would that even need to be connected?

With the antenna connected and the 12 or 16 (#?) pin connector (i.e., power supply connector) plugged in, the unit would turn on, but there was no sound and the speedo did not work - what does this mean? Do I need to disconnect something with regard to the trunk factory amp?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Don't listen to Gerald. Cut and splice is a hack job. Get the correct connector.

Geeeeeez, damn rookies. Buy a pack of wire connectors for $.25 from Radio Shack. Done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.