Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease(close-end) on my 99GTS will be up in 8 months with an option to buy at $29,000. Can I sell the car without buying it before the end of the lease or trade it in for another Viper without paying the tax, title, etc.?

· Out-House Counsel
1,850 Posts
I just did this. You can trade it in, and as long as you trade it into a dealership (preferably a DC dealership)and presumably the same DC leasing company, you won't have to pay the tax on the vehicle being traded in. You will have to pay for new title and license and you will get a tax credit up to the amount of the value of the care being traded in.

If you try and sell the car or buy it outright, you WILL have to pay the taxes owed on it.

Does this make sense? If not, PM me.

· Premium Member
4,903 Posts
On lease payments in Ga, you do pay for sales tax as you go. Yes, you can sell it now, but your residual may be higher than $29,000.

· Registered
7,210 Posts
DNR said:
I just did this. You can trade it in, and as long as you trade it into a dealership (preferably a DC dealership)and presumably the same DC leasing company, you won't have to pay the tax on the vehicle being traded in. You will have to pay for new title and license and you will get a tax credit up to the amount of the value of the care being traded in.

If you try and sell the car or buy it outright, you WILL have to pay the taxes owed on it.

They just made you think that! In Texas, at least, you get no tax credits on a leased vehicle. You pay the taxes, but the credits go to the leasing company, which is in your case DC. They must have felt generous and elected to share those with you. Trust me on this one! :thumb:

· Out-House Counsel
1,850 Posts
BigCarrot said:
DNR said:

They just made you think that! In Texas, at least, you get no tax credits on a leased vehicle. You pay the taxes, but the credits go to the leasing company, which is in your case DC. They must have felt generous and elected to share those with you. Trust me on this one! :thumb:
You would certainly know better than I. All I know is that when I traded in my Viper (which was leased), I only had to pay the tax on the difference between the purchase price of the SL55 and the trade in value of the Viper, not the entire price of the SL55, so I just figured they gave me the tax credit for the trade. I might have to get you to 'splain this better to me next weekend (before the drinking) :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.