Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think I tap into the wiring on my rear view mirror light and hardwire the power to my V1? Here's a pic ..
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/716Picture_034-med.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snake Bitten said:
Yes...I see no problem with it at all...splice away! :thumb:
G, Long Island Ice Tea's are on me !! My electrical appitude is about as good as a Blind Mans abilty in a sharp shooter contest /images/graemlins/laughing.gif.

When you coming down to Diego again ?? Your T&D Rockers are starting to collect dust...Come on Down Brotha !!!

Please /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Viper said:
Hey, that's a good idea!
I get em once and a while /images/graemlins/laughing.gif.

That damn cord gets annoying..Not to mention it ties up my power outlet , I need that to keep the cell phone charged or play my IPOD.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snake Bitten said:
Jeff...How bout Saturday afteroon...I can come down and wire it up for you...
Done !!That would be great !! I'll have the Tea Brewing /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif .

Jeff

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Yeah, sounds good, but the problem I have with anything other than the cord (which I have run around the right side of the rear view to the plug in the cigarette lighter outlet) is that with an RT/10, and driving in VA often, I like to be able to quickly remove it from the windshield for storage, like when I drive to the mall or lowe's or somewhere. Any kind of other "plug-in" (e.g., running the cord to a power source, requiring you to unplug the unit) or even using the suction cups (rather than the visor clamp) makes for more effort.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hisserman said:
How about installing a quick disconnect at the same time?
Great idea Hisserman!!
Gerald , I'll stop my Radio Scrap and see if they have a connection we can use.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
slaughterj said:
Yeah, sounds good, but the problem I have with anything other than the cord (which I have run around the right side of the rear view to the plug in the cigarette lighter outlet) is that with an RT/10, and driving in VA often, I like to be able to quickly remove it from the windshield for storage, like when I drive to the mall or lowe's or somewhere. Any kind of other "plug-in" (e.g., running the cord to a power source, requiring you to unplug the unit) or even using the suction cups (rather than the visor clamp) makes for more effort.
There's an existing modular DC jack on the power cord. All we would need to do is splice the jack to a y connection of the mirror power cord. Then you could just unplug the unit, slide it out of the holder and stow it. Only problem is that there will be a visible wire (with jack) handing from the mirror which would indicate that there may be a detector in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Take notes Jeff so that you can do mine when you guys are done! /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
CitySnake said:
slaughterj said:
There's an existing modular DC jack on the power cord. All we would need to do is splice the jack to a y connection of the mirror power cord. Then you could just unplug the unit, slide it out of the holder and stow it. Only problem is that there will be a visible wire (with jack) handing from the mirror which would indicate that there may be a detector in the car.
I still think it would be more difficult that what i currently have to do, which is simply to grab the detector, and easily pull it off the visor rightward to swing the power cord around and pull out the power supply - makes for quick removals when in VA, as opposed to reaching for a power cord plug and then removing it from the holder.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My car has arrows etched into the rear view mirror - the previous owner had a radar detector connected so that if it detected in front, the arrow in the mirror pointing forward lit up, behind = arrow pointing down. It was not installed when I got the car, but I have always wondered what it would take to set it up again. The only reason I even know what it was for is because the car was in a car stereo magazine when it was owned by Roseanne and Tom. Still have the magazine, but not the 10 amps and 20 speakers that they took out before selling the car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
XS Toro --

If you go to the Valentine web site you can see the complete unit for the mirror installation. The Valentine folks are pretty good to work with, I'd call them and see if they could hook you up with the parts you need to get back into business. You'll like it! /images/graemlins/nana

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.