Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone put different cams in their Vipers? If so, are there any companys that sell a real big lumpy cam like on an old car? New Viper owner so don't laugh to much if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
What year model is your viper? I believe some of the earlier model Gen II vipers come with a pretty aggressive cam stock. But Future Owner is correct, most tuners put in a more aggressive cam in just about all of their packages. It can and is done on a regular basis. You might want to do a search for Crower cams and see what you come up with. I am sure somebody else will be able to help you even more, but maybe that could be a start. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
if you go with a cam that is to big you will lose horsepower because the valves stay open for a longer duration bleeding down cylinder pressure. Some tuners may use custom grind cams or tell you that they do. One reason the tuners sell upgrades in packages is they know what works best with what, a turbo cam and a NA cam will be different, you should plan on telling the tuner what upgrades you plan on doing to the viper down the road. The cam also gives you your powerband. There is a lot of science to cams and heads since hp is made in the head.

I know this is a generic answer but going with the wrong cam will be throwing money away.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
depends upon what you want in combination with the cam upgrade. for my car, 99, the stock cam (708) is ideal and is actually the "upgrade" many tuners will go to.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
i put a 96/97 viper cam in my Heffner car. i didnt want the additional performance from a custom cam (800 hp is plenty). i did, however, want more lope....it really comes down to what you want. but to say that "every" tuner swaps cams is a little exaggerated. as MOJO said, it depends on what you plan to do with the car as far as additional mods

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
RedSnakeGTS said:
i put a 96/97 viper cam in my Heffner car. i didnt want the additional performance from a custom cam (800 hp is plenty). i did, however, want more lope....it really comes down to what you want. but to say that "every" tuner swaps cams is a little exaggerated. as MOJO said, it depends on what you plan to do with the car as far as additional mods
That's a little too much car for a man your age isnt it?

:rofl:

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
One of the Viper stock cams ran 0.552" lift if I recall - that's probably the 708 without checking. That's a good lift for a street car.

To answer your question more specifically - no - most tuners will not run a hot roller cam comparable to what the modern hot street/strip V8's CAN run - because the Viper uses Hydraulic Roller lifters, and most owners won't make the trade off by ditching those in favor of solid roller lifters.

A hydraulic roller is better than the average hydraulic cam - but will not match a fast action solid flat tappet cam let alone a solid roller for outright performance. Cams like the Ultradyne and Hughes Engines max velocity grinds are not possible on hydraulic roller lifters as the lifters won't stand up to the ramps and spring pressure for long enough to make it worthwhile.

I have experimented with different custom grinds over the years of my own creation - utilising the 0.904" lifter bore capacity of the Mopar lifter. I can tell you not one a 100 mopar engine builders get even close to what is available to them.... so there is power there - at a trade off in wear. There are some modern lubricants that greatly extend that life to what it used to be however.

If you run solid roller lifters you will be able to gain power everywhere by using a much faster ramp... the trade off will be higher spring pressures, more wear on the valvetrain and a shorter life for springs and lifters in particular. Solid roller lifters may only last 10,000 miles on a street setup - check with Comp Cams - they make some of the best gear in this department.

I will be running a solid roller in my twin turbo car Viper project - but I'll expect to replace lifters and other sundry parts every couple of years as part of the deal. If that kind of cost is a problem - stick to the hyd rollers.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
To change the cam and gain any kind of a noticeable power gain you will need:

1. Heads that flow better.
2. Better valve springs.

If you want 20 rw hp and dont want to spend time money to do a heads/cam upgrade just yet, then just get the T&D rockerarms.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
bottom line, for a streetable drivable viper, a cam swap is useless, or at best just get whatever yr had the stock 708 cam ( i know 99 for sure). so much more to mod thatd yeild so much more superior performance yet not hamper daily drivability

1 - 11 of 11 Posts