Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL, VK1; allegedly stands for Viper Killer 1. while I think its an honor to have such lofty goals as GM has. and while i think its a compliment to have their focus so specific as to single out one make/model (viper) for their slanderland selling schtick. i think its gonna be a big let down.

while the C6 is apparently going to be a helluva improvement over its predecessors it still isnt going to beat the viper

stock vs stock off the showroom floor, the first across the finishline will be the viper, period. braking and handling, the viper, period. the ONLY thing the vette might beat the viper in is looks and i say this because the new viper, well, just doesnt have the looks the GenI and II got. however, give us a coupe and lets see what happens then!!

things changed in 1992 and they aint never changing back, youd think GM would have accepted it by now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with getbit. Once the new z06....or whatever it will be called comes out, I have a feeling the SRT won't stand a chance stock for stock. But I hope Dodge just uses this as fuel to start the fire and step up and make the car even better....gotta work on the looks too. Or they could just bring the GTS back and put the motor from the GenIII into it....that would be the best solution :nod:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,854 Posts
OK, you can draw 2 conclusions about DC PVO, now called SRT:

1. They give up on performance and are content to be in 2nd place while making Hemi station wagons haul ass, etc.

2. They plan to stay 1-2 steps ahead of the competition and have been working on doing that for a while. They just have not told the world and GM what they are doing yet.

I tend to beleive the latter theory. Everybody seems to know that the C6 Z06 will have a 7 litre 500 hp motor in a sub 3000 lb chassis. Whats that going to run in the 1/4? Probably 11.7 @ 124 mph - not bad for $70k. But a stock SRT10 can run pretty close to that right now and with 400 lbs more weight. So what do you think the engineers at SRT are going to do, try to match or barely keep ahead of the Z06? Think again.

I will predict that DC will announce some newer version of the Viper at or around the Detroit auto show and try to steel some of the Chevy thunder over the new Z06. A Viper coupe would seem to be the most obvious choice, but who knows, I have heard rumors of a hardtop SRT with a notchback ala the Corvette FRC. 550 hp would be a minimum for whatever SRT comes out with, maybe more like 575 hp.

You can be sure that the SRT engineers are not only looking to stay ahead of the new Z06 but that they will also seek to get back some of the glory that the Ford GT has been getting lately.

DC may be quiet about what they are doing and this may irk some, but give them time to lay dowm the smack. There is nothing more dangerous than an animal playing dead.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
john, i think you hit the nail on the head. too many chicken littles cryin. the viper isnt losing its "pole position" anytime soon

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
SRT Coupe coming soon.. I can feel it... Next VOI will leave ppl drooling...

Just a feeling I've had for the past year or so..

G

·
Irredeemable
8,170 Posts
None of this keeps me up at night...just looking at the signs and giving MHO.

As I stated, I hope DC does step up. I was reading the latest Automotive News (industry newspaper) and they gave a timeline of DC products. This is by no means the be all, end all of info but a decent guide. Considering the fact that DC likes to keep secrets, this may mean nothing. BUT, the only info on the Viper in the entire DC line up through 2008 was that for 2005, the SRT-10 will be introduced in Europe as a Dodge, making Dodge a global player. It goes on to say "beyond that, no major changes are expected."

Now, in the past, it showed a possible coupe in development for 2005/6. It no longer indicates that in the timeline.

This could all be to throw everyone off. Hopefully it is. Automotive News has, in the past, gotten wrong info. It just doesn't look good.

It does talk about the 2006 Charger (full-sized sedan) to arrive in 2005 which we will see at VOI. whoopee. The Charger concept show at the 1999 Detroit auto
show is NOT the car going into production. This one is based on the 300 and Magnum rwd chassis.

DC has stated that there is NO replacement planned for the Crossfire. It dies when it dies.

They are predicting a POSSIBLE (decision promised by year's end) production of the ME Four-twelve for 2007 model year with a sticker price above $150K and being hand built and assembled in Europe.

I have purchased 3 GTS's and one SRT-10 and hope to be moved to purchase another Viper product. I, like many others in this niche market, are instant gratifacation buyers and will not wait forever. More horsepower will not fix the SRT-10 for me. I like the car, but love the GTS and many of it's "competitors" that are coming out now...even if some are slower or more expensive. Bang for the buck is the flag waved by Mustang/EVO/Corvette crowds...not by me. If it costs more but I love it, it is the car for me. That is why the Ford GT blows away the SRT-10 in my eyes and always will...even if the SRT10 is faster. Look at the whole package. Yeah, I could buy two SRT10's for the price of MSRP of the Ford GT...I don't want two SRT-10's.

BRING ON THE FUCKING GTS AND QUIT FINGER FUCKING THE SRT10, TRYING TO MAKE IT CLIMAX! FUCK THE HARDTOP, FUCK THE CARBON SPECIAL RICER EDITION! IT WILL NEVER GIVE THE "FEELING" THAT THE GTS GIVES. NEVER.

·
Registered
666 Posts
getbit said:

As I stated, I hope DC does step up. I was reading the latest Automotive News (industry newspaper) and they gave a timeline of DC products. This is by no means the be all, end all of info but a decent guide. Considering the fact that DC likes to keep secrets, this may mean nothing. BUT, the only info on the Viper in the entire DC line up through 2008 was that for 2005, the SRT-10 will be introduced in Europe as a Dodge, making Dodge a global player. It goes on to say "beyond that, no major changes are expected."

Now, in the past, it showed a possible coupe in development for 2005/6. It no longer indicates that in the timeline.

This could all be to throw everyone off. Hopefully it is. Automotive News has, in the past, gotten wrong info. It just doesn't look good.

It does talk about the 2006 Charger (full-sized sedan) to arrive in 2005 which we will see at VOI. whoopee. The Charger concept show at the 1999 Detroit auto
show is NOT the car going into production. This one is based on the 300 and Magnum rwd chassis.

DC has stated that there is NO replacement planned for the Crossfire. It dies when it dies.

They are predicting a POSSIBLE (decision promised by year's end) production of the ME Four-twelve for 2007 model year with a sticker price above $150K and being hand built and assembled in Europe.

I have purchased 3 GTS's and one SRT-10 and hope to be moved to purchase another Viper product. I, like many others in this niche market, are instant gratifacation buyers and will not wait forever. More horsepower will not fix the SRT-10 for me. I like the car, but love the GTS and many of it's "competitors" that are coming out now...even if some are slower or more expensive. Bang for the buck is the flag waved by Mustang/EVO/Corvette crowds...not by me. If it costs more but I love it, it is the car for me. That is why the Ford GT blows away the SRT-10 in my eyes and always will...even if the SRT10 is faster. Look at the whole package. Yeah, I could buy two SRT10's for the price of MSRP of the Ford GT...I don't want two SRT-10's.

BRING ON THE FUCKING GTS AND QUIT FINGER FUCKING THE SRT10, TRYING TO MAKE IT CLIMAX! FUCK THE HARDTOP, FUCK THE CARBON SPECIAL RICER EDITION! IT WILL NEVER GIVE THE "FEELING" THAT THE GTS GIVES. NEVER.
Can't wait to see your reaction when the coupe comes out... :rofl: :nod: :smooch:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with GETBIT. DC needs to do something radical with the Viper. With the GTS a thing of the past, the Ford GT has set the standard for Drop Dead Gorgous, Gota Have One cars.

Ron

PS. Not to steal this thread, but...

Does anyone know why the Ford GT is being dropped after '06. I know it's due to tougher emission standards, but I would like to know more. If a 500HP Ford can't meet emissions in '07, can a 600HP Viper?

·
Irredeemable
8,170 Posts
GFFL,

I heard it is also because the Ford GT (550 HP actually) will be unable to meet certain government mandated safety standards at that time and they don't want to come out with a "new" GT.
That is what the GR1 would be if built.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the current C6 is not even CLOSE to challenging the viper

on the track it didn't even do as well as the current Z06

yeh I hear GM is going to make SURE the C6 Z06 is a 'viper killer', not holding my breath. Just got back from Corvettes at Carlisle, saw the C6 and went ok-viper time! Currently drive a Z06 and am looking to move over to viper country:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
For what it's worth, the standard C6 Vette is not the one coded VK1. VK1, which does in fact stand for Viper Killer 1, was the name given to the next Z06, which is currently under development. The next Z06 will have 500 HP/500 TQ, so it should give the Viper a run for it's money, though I don't know that it will necessarily be a Viper Killer.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've done some (a lot) research on the upcoming C6 Z06, or whatever it will be called. Here's what I found out: Everyone has a guestimate of engine size, HP, weight, price etc..., BUT NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING FOR FACT, and everyone thinks there right because 'THEY KNOW' someone at GM. It's fun to guess, but no positive figures are out, and probably will not be until Detroit (January).

So let's not even get into the comparisons until at least December, when some solid info. MAY leak.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
10,474 Posts
getbit said:

can you post like this more often?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.