Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Enlightened
28,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed remarks from people who suggest buying used Vipers from Florida is a bad thing. I believe Craig suggested in Chuck's thread that a Viper with damage can get a "clean title" in Florida.

Can anyone expand on this? Should buying used in Florida involve additional precautions or should it be avoided unless you know the seller?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
used to be that way, not anymore. If you run a carfax and also run the vin thru the Chrylser data base, even a clean title car should show salvage history. Note most states have a 10 year history. So 93-94 vipers now will show a clean title but could have salvage history. I like using the mfg database better than carfax, seem to be more accurtate and also gives recall and service information.

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
Call Chuck Tator, he good at helping out with this, 914-763-3136

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I bought mine from an individual in Florida, who had originally bought it in Florida, and did the car fax check as well as the manufacturer check (which confirmed what he had said, that he had taken it in for a bad battery) - you can call any Dodge dealer and have them run the VIN for its history. I think the Florida this is "slightly" more of an issue because of the greater percentage that will be rental cars.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
yup, Chuck will hook you up! Why would Florida have more rentals then say California? Until a couple of years ago Florida did not brand titles. Dealers used to send thier rebuilt cars down there to get clean titles. That has changed. I am pretty sure all states now brand titles. The only instance you may get burned is when the car is a fleet or rental and they are self insured. Self insured claims do not report to the DMV so no carfax or DMV record. Although the mfg data base will show the owner history.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
dansauto said:
yup, Chuck will hook you up! Why would Florida have more rentals then say California?
Florida has more rentals on average than the rest of the country. I was not comparing it to, say, California, or any other particular location - do you think that Florida has less rentals percentage-wise than Kansas, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Maryland, Oregon, etc.? Florida may or may not eclipse California for rentals, but Florida cars were the subject, not California :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts