Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i am in the market to buy a gts. i just looked at one tonight.
here is the story behind it. the car has 62,000 miles and is in pretty good condition. the thing that worries me is that the owner does not know anything about the car he has the wrong size tires on the back (335/55/17) and the car has had the front bumper painted and maybe the hood. car seems to run fine it does seem to be a little rough at idle(idles about 550 rpm) the good thing is he is only asking 32,000 for the car. do you think this is worth it? i am not buying it to be a garage queen. It will be driven alot about 12,000 miles per year. so what do you guys think?

thanks

jerome

·
Registered
24,063 Posts
too much for a car ya know NOTHING about with that many miles if ya ask me.

and those problems, there must be more to the story.

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts
Here is a 97 with 72K, check this out :thumb:

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
jhong3211 said:
car seems to run fine it does seem to be a little rough at idle(idles about 550 rpm) the good thing is he is only asking 32,000 for the car.

That's called a "lopey cam"...quite common for a 1998 model...All of our cars idle around 550 - 600The tire size isn't too disturbing to me, just taller that is all...The guy probably went cheap when he bought new tires...As long as it hasn't been totalled and rebuilt shabbily, BUY IT!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
444 Posts
335/55/17 ??? What f-ing tire is he running on it? Or did you mean it was a 45 series?

Oh and for 32k thats a hell of a deal. As long as it still doesn't have a telephone pole attached you can't go terribly wrong.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
jhong3211 said:
hello all i am in the market to buy a gts. i just looked at one tonight.
here is the story behind it. the car has 62,000 miles and is in pretty good condition. the thing that worries me is that the owner does not know anything about the car he has the wrong size tires on the back (335/55/17) and the car has had the front bumper painted and maybe the hood. car seems to run fine it does seem to be a little rough at idle(idles about 550 rpm) the good thing is he is only asking 32,000 for the car. do you think this is worth it? i am not buying it to be a garage queen. It will be driven alot about 12,000 miles per year. so what do you guys think?

thanks

jerome
Before you run and buy the car, get a dealer that employs a Viper Tech to look it over and give it a PPI. There's NO sense in buying a car on the cheap and then having to dump money and time into it to get it into the condtion that it should be in.

Ask to have the guy drive it to your local Dodge dealer; it's worth your 100 bucks to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you for all your replys. I do plan to have the car taken to a shop and check over. My main worry is the motor on the car. But if you say it's normal to have a loop in the idle at 550 rpm. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Any one want to buy my 1990 ZR1 :nod: Need to seel this car first.Can't have to many toys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a call into the local viper club but have not heard back from him yet. i am in no hurry. the owner of the car is going to be out of town for about 2 weeks.

thanks.
so i take it the loopy idle is not normal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.