Below I have pasted a list of tips (in order) for buying a first viper that I recently posted on a viper site off the top of my head - anyone got any additional suggestions/modifications to include?
Buying a 1st Viper tips:
1. Establish your financial range.
2. Determine what is affordable in that financial range.
3. Do the above by searching ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, and especially the viper club sites, like here, viperclub.org's classifieds, and viperalley.
4. Contact your insurance company to get your insurance rates to confirm that the purchase will be affordable.
5. Determine any other limitations you might have, such as mileage, mods, and color.
6. When you find a car you are interested in, you will need to check the car out, and to do this, do the following:
a. first with a carfax report, a check of dealership records on the car, and whatever information the seller can provide you (including on maintenance).
b. then get the examined, either by yourself if it is near (and be sure to familiarize yourself with what needs to be looked at), or if it is at a distance, politely post (on all the viper forums) a general request for a viper owner in the area to check the car out for you.
7. Bargain on the price, and make sure ALL arrangements are clear before traveling to get the car, and if not previously personally inspected, make sure it is clear that the deal is contingent upon your final inspection.
8. Buy the car and make sure you call your insurance company before you go anywhere and get it covered!