Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '99 GTS. The car is in great condition but I noticed that the exhaust pipes have burned the rear bumper! What do you guys do about that? Do you have to enlarge the hole that the pipes come out of or just live with it?! Does anyone make a shield or something that will just cover it up and protect it from further damage? Thanks.
Rob

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
1. Trip to the muffler shop...extend your tips 3/4"

2. Lean her out a bit, so you aren't shooting four foot flames out the back when your on the throttle, or hard downshifting...

3. Email [email protected] for a protective, nice looking cover...dunno if he still makes them.

4. Apply TONS of wax in the area of interest...

5. Install side exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No the car is stock, best as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be running rich, but i don't have a sensor to check. I haven't checked to see if the cats are there or what kind they are, but it sounds like any other viper I have heard. Is this a common problem that Vipers with the rear exit exhaust have? $150 for that Bumper Shield sounds like a good price to protect my car, but you said it was steel? I don't want some rusty piece hanging off the back of the car. It would look worse than it does now. If it were Aluminum or Stainless Steel, something that won't rust, that would be great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been doing some looking around and asking questions about getting an exhaust shield. Seems that someone is selling them on the Viper Club of America website. Seems like a pretty good looking piece! The price isn't too bad compared to what I have heard about some others in the past. Here is the link to the thread I'm talking about:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showfla...;o=&fpart=1

The polished stainless looks great but I wonder how clean it would stay. Anyone have one of these units yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.