Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked at a GTS over the weekend. How common is it for bubbling paint (in this case about the size of a quarter) on the top of the side skirts/ground effects right in front of the doors where the exhaust passes under. Dealership says it is common and hard to find a car without it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
we've had a couple of cars over here with that problem (97 and 1999), it seems to come and go with the weather, bubbles disappear only to return later

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
It is not unusual but that doesn't mean all Vipers have it. Quarter-sized is large however, it can be fixed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you stripped the paint, you'd see the aluminum pitted with corrosion. Theories of rivits and exhaust heat causing the problem are actually factors that add to the problem but the real cause is water in the sills.

When Vipers are driven in rain or are washed, water gets into the side sills and soaks the insulation if it can get through the aluminum wrap. Water just sits along the inside of the sill sandwiched between the insulation and heat shield. Imagine how long it takes for that area to dry out considering that it is basically a tunnel with only those slits at the bottom as air openings. That eventually works though a scratch in the paint or just through a weakpoint in the paint and starts the corrosion.

To fix you need to strip the paint, have the aluminum repaired, repaint and ensure to thoroughly paint the inside with VHT, replace insulation with type fully wrapped and keep the sills dry. Also replace cats if stock. If you wash your car don't spray under the doors.

This is pathetic but if I get caught in the rain, I'd be in the garage with a hairdryer or fan or something blowing air through the vents in the bottom of the sills.

·
Registered
791 Posts
well...i had that prob here with 2 cars...took it over to the paint shop i use and they got together with the paint distribtor and we all discussed it..they removed the paint and grond down the area and put the car in the heat booth for a day cooking it to get all the gasses to escape...then repaired the area..it worked great!!!...and then i'm sad to say that area looks better than the other parts of the car!!...lol..

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Years ago somebody recommended sanding it down to the bare body, put a heat lamp on it for a day or two then repaint. I have only small bubbles on my RT/10 so I'm not worried about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts