Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ever happened to that one guy who had new rollbars and several people were waiting for him to post pics...?

Never heard back from the guy in that one thread...

/images/graemlins/dunno

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Im waiting too as I NEED a rollbar ASAP and I dont know which brand is best for my RT10

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Just a side not, the BTR bar is supposed to meat NHRA requirments, not sure if the Autoform roll bar does. Maybe something to think about.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
good point.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
I THINK (not 100% sure) that autoform makes an NHRA legal one with a removable side bar. Think thats only good for up to 10.00. 9.99 and quicker needs a full cage.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
can anyone post pics of each type installed in RT10? id like to see how they each lok aesthetically. gotta keep the poser in me happy as well as safe /images/graemlins/toothy

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I did have a little trouble with my last BTR bar. Should have the new and improved one here this week.

Will let you know how the install goes as soon as I get it.

Supposed to ship today.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have the Autoform roll bar in my RT. It _is_ NHRA compliant... If I knew how to post pics, I'd post them. If you want to see some pics, e-mail me and I'll send them your way.

the Autoform has a nice finish, but I never got around to putting in the side bars... and haven't been kicked out of a track yet... yet. This weekend could be different.

The autoform w/ the sidebars runs close to 2k, though, whereas the BTR is a lot less expensive. I'm even pondering pulling my autoform bar in favor of a BTR... I love the bar, but it obsructs the vision a little on the street.

Plus, the autoform "replacement" back-splash piece sucks ass.

JD

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
The previous run of "NHRA-legal" BTR bars were - not. In fact, they were woefully short of acceptable. Let's hope the new ones are better.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I have the BTR bar in my GTS and it looks stock. The last time I went to the track and ran 10's in the 1/4 mile, they required full side bars, and this comes with those, so 2 mins later I had them bolted in and was ready to go make some more runs. They do not obstruct rear vision which was HUGE for me.

-Manny

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
twinvipers said:
Manny,

Your car should go in the 9's easy...
Your car is unreal. As for mine, yeah, I don't have slick/skinnies, nor the drag suspension, and by the looks of things, I don't have anywhere close to the dragging experience you have. If I take my car to an event, it would be awesome to have somebody like you or one of the other good drivers, take my car down the strip to see what it can really do. I have the HP, one would think. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you show a picture of either the BTR or Autoform bar to NHRA Tech (626-914-4761), they will be more inclined to say the BTR looks ok. They mentioned to me that the main hoop should be a continous piece.

You can view or download the NHRA General Guidelines here:
http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2004/rules/GeneralRegulations.pdf

In order to comply with the current NHRA rules, aside from the driver side bar, it must have a cross bar (horizontal bar that connects the main hoop) as well. This will be tough to accomplish in a Viper without major surgery on the bulkhead trim panel. Not to mention, seat travel will be limited.

I recently sent NHRA an email with a few pictures, including an illustration I found in the service manual, showing that there is a frame underneath the bulkhead trim panel which the roll bar bolts in to. I told them that this is also the frame that the factory seat belts mount to, as well as the optional 5 point harnesses (standard on ACR models). Hence, eliminating the need for the cross bar. I should have an answer from them in 3 weeks.

By the way, NHRA is planning to modify the rules. For stock cars, or with minor bolt ons (filter, exhaust), instead of requiring a rollbar at 11.99, they plan on lowering the ET to 11.49. It may not happen until next year though...

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Only negative thing I have heard about the BTR bar is that it hooks into the floor pan instead of the frame --- anybody else confirm this?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Manny - if I'm not mistaken, the down bars (2 little vertical bars) connects to the frame where the seat belts are mounted. The main hoop, and the driver side bar have plates that sandwiches the floor pan.

·
Latest JEDI Weapon!
575 Posts
My apologies to the window shoppers,

We are shipping out and installing bars this week but will have pics to email to those who are interested.

Contact Macedo Motorsports as he is installing 2 right now, and we are shipping him 2 more as soon as we have them coated. Several are being shipped to customers this week.

We have never had a customer call and say they were denied the opportunity to run a 10.00 pass with our bars, and several of my customers use this bar and run in the 9's.

There are many, many items that will disqualify you from running a 9 second pass before your roll bar/certified roll cage becomes the issue, so for you Rocket Scientists out there, I'd first consider getting your car to perform, then go get a FAA Flight Physical, request the required documentation from the NHRA, and prepare your skills to pass the driving test required to obtain the actual 9 second license.

You will also need;
A driving suit
approved SNELL Helmet
Neck Restraint
SFI Harmonic Balancer
SFI Flywheel Shield
SFI Transmission Blanket
Drain out your Synthetic Oil
Drain out your Anti-Freeze
Replace your wheelstuds with longer ones and open ended lug nuts
Replace your halfshafts
Wheels and Tires
Driveshaft safety loop
Halfshaft Safety loop
Battery Cutoff Switch
Side window net or arm restraints
and several other items, some of which are mentioned regularly on these forums.

NOTE: All of the above items with the exception of the window net and the pants portion of the driving suit are REQUIRED for a full bodied car that runs 10.99 or quicker....not 9.99.

ONE other notable item that I'm not sure how the NHRA would consider are the Electronic activation of Viper Doors. In a roll over and a subsequent battery disconnect...the doors cannot be opened from the outside. Not gonna be easy to get this issue past the NHRA safety crew.

With that in mind, purchase your roll over safety equipment based upon the fact that you want to remain comfortable during your driving experience, maintain a higher degree of safety, have an acceptable appearance, not hinder view or create blind spots, and hopefully enhance your ownership experience. There are a few quality producers of Viper safety equipment for your consideration and I don't think that you can go wrong with any choice.

Feel free to contact us should you have further questions or wish to purchase our roll bar or any of our other Viper related performance products.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts