Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'96 GTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my '96 GTS back on the road after an extended storage stay and when I was pulling into the emissions testing garage I felt a pop in the brakes they felt rock hard and hardly slowed the car. I limped it home and parked in the driveway. Looking around I noticed that the master cylinder had a broken bolt (other half was found at the emissions shop). When backing out of the driveway to take it back to storage they still felt solid but by the time I got to the first stop two blocks away it was back to normal. I assume I'll be replacing the master cylinder/booster anything else I should look out for? Kind of unnerving to drive something that could randomly loose brakes... I'll be looking for a booster tomorrow hoping to have it drivable before Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 GTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the broken end can tell us more about why it broke.

Can you put in a new bolt if you pull the booster off?
I haven't taken it apart yet to see if I can put a new bolt in. Luckily there's a Dodge store near me and I'm going to see if they can shed some light on if I can replace the bolt or not before I start pulling things apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 GTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The end of the bolt was dirty, not necessarily rusty. It looks like it just got stretched apart which would be pretty impressive.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,401 Posts
when I was pulling into the emissions testing garage I felt a pop in the brakes they felt rock hard and hardly slowed the car. I limped it home and parked in the driveway. Looking around I noticed that the master cylinder had a broken bolt (other half was found at the emissions shop). When backing out of the driveway to take it back to storage they still felt solid but by the time I got to the first stop two blocks away it was back to normal.
The vacuum is pulled on the front side of the booster. That's also where the MC is mounted. If the MC is loose, you get a vacuum leak on the side that assists the rod to stroke. When the engine is running a lot, it makes a lot of vacuum and you aren't having to use the brakes as much as slow maneuvering.

Check with Mike Scherzberg here (99RT10&GTS), Don Scharf or X-2 Builders for spares.

Reactions: 99RT10&GTS

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
I have several, Check messages

1 - 7 of 7 Posts