Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke U-joint + other drivtrain Q\'s for the drag racers...

I just broke a U-joint hitting 2nd gear on my TOTALLY STOCK '97 GTS (Pilot Sports). I want to know what driveline parts should be upgraded for a high horsepower Viper on grippy tires for drag racing. Although I don't drag race, don't plan on drag racing, and have no plans for power mods or anything stickier than Kumho tires (maybe I should just stick with the Pilots, so they might act as a fuse and spin before putting too much stress on weaker drivetrain components and breaking them), I'd like to know that my drivetrain is just about bullet-proof because I do like to drive hard and don't want to worry about breaking down far from home. So what driveline parts should be upgraded and what should they be upgraded to as far as brand and model? I'm ecspecially interested in how I could upgrade the U-joints since the car's down until they get replaced, but would like suggestions for any drivetrain stuff that should be replaced. Thanks for any help!!!! /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
Re: Broke U-joint + other drivtrain Q\'s for the drag racers...

If you were getting wheel hop during your upshift, that could impose incredibly high shock loads on the driveline. Just curious - which of the 6 u-joints did you break? Half-shaft tubes usually twist into liqorice sticks before a cross goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you were getting wheel hop during your upshift, that could impose incredibly high shock loads on the driveline. Just curious - which of the 6 u-joints did you break? Half-shaft tubes usually twist into liqorice sticks before a cross goes.
The joint was on the driver's side halfshaft at the differential end. BUT, I just had it confirmed today when I bought a replacement U-joint, that the joint that broke was a weaker joint than the others. As in the other three halfshaft joints were all the same, but the one that broke (although it worked in the car) was a weaker joint (the center section of the broken joint looked different from the other 3 halfshaft U-joints). :burn:

·
Registered
458 Posts

So, what are good halshafts to use. Come on guys, help us out, we are trying to learn and you guys know all the answers.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts

FlyBryViper said:
So, what are good halshafts to use. Come on guys, help us out, we are trying to learn and you guys know all the answers.
Unitrax or BTR has some also.Do a search here and the other board. Spray....

·
Premium Member
19,230 Posts

viper spray said:
FlyBryViper said:
Unitrax or BTR has some also.Do a search here and the other board. Spray....
Larry Macedo (407-246-6511) also has great sets of HD shafts! I broke the outer U-joint on my 96 while racing at Bradenton, FL at the starting line. The Heffner crew squared me up for the race and I took first place! No high horsepower mods either, headers, exhaust and gears. With Kumhos, it don't take much :nod:

·
Registered
458 Posts

Thanks Guys...appreciate you keeping the rest of us advised. You add a great deal of confidence, especially to those of us that are new to the mighty Viper.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Unitrax half shafts are supposed to be good for 1,000 RWHP. I haven't broke mine yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts