Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned Since 2003
16,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from a few Viper owners and tech's this summer about putting in regular 10W30 in new motors instead of Mobil One synthetic for about 500 to 1000 miles so the ring seat in.

I just changed the oil a few weeks ago in my ACR and wondered next time if this would be a good idea or it really wouldn't matter at this point since it already has 1100 miles.

This leads to the question of...when does a Viper engine be considered "broken in" using synthetic?

The oil has been changed at or around 200 miles, 600 miles, and just recently at 1100 miles.

I guess at this point I don't need to change the oil so often and just follow a regular schedule.

Engine builders/people in the know...please comment.

Thank you

· Banned Since 2003
16,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snake Bitten said:
Toby...Is your motor blowing oil by the rings???

If not, they are seated...
If it is...it would be very minimal/none as I do not see any indication.

The oil is at the same level,clean as when I put it in and no smoke out the back.

I have owned a few SB Chevy engines in my time and I do remember when they were first run they would smoke a bit for the first few miles and the oil would be as black as night even after 100 miles. I had always used regular oil too.

I am just not well schooled in how synthetic oil works with internal parts during break in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.