Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get the pins that go through the calipers and hold the brake pads in place - where can I get just these without having to buy pads as well?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do none of you bastages ever change your brake pins? Since most of you buy aftermarket pads, where are you getting your pins from?!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,340 Posts
If you buy a set of new pads thru MoPar, you get new pins and anti-rattle clips with them. Ask one of the Viper techs in your area if he has (or will keep) some takeoffs for you.

The pins are reuseable almost indefinitely. Sometimes, the barrel spring gets clogged with brake dust and won't lock the pins very well. Use brake cleaner, a stainless wire brush and compressed air to make sure everything is up to snuff.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my pins is significantly bent (i.e., not functional), thus needs replacement. I would like to go ahead and replace all of them, but it seems they are only available with OEM pads, which strikes me offhand as illegal antitrust activity, though I'd have to think about it further.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,340 Posts
slaughterj said:
One of my pins is significantly bent (i.e., not functional), thus needs replacement.
I'm sure there's a story waiting to be told. The question is whether or not the witness will divulge the truth. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTS Dean said:
slaughterj said:
One of my pins is significantly bent (i.e., not functional), thus needs replacement.
I'm sure there's a story waiting to be told. The question is whether or not the witness will divulge the truth. /images/graemlins/wink
One would think, but actually when I was outside my garage today as the ceiling was being ripped out after my hot water heater overflow bottle ruptured and spewed major water in my house, I found the broken off tip at the end of my driveway?! So there's no big excitement, just my rear brake pin must have gone bad, stuck out, and got snapped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.