Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned Since 2003
17,833 Posts
Jeff M said:
Whats with the spike in prices of the blue and white GTS's??

I have noticed this too.

Prices seen to have gone up 5K and in some cases even 10K for the low miles mint condition examples. They have gone from a used car, to holding steady, to collector status within the past +-12 months.

Maybe its because it seems finding a clean unmolested pre-2000 Viper these days without stories or hidden damage is getting next to impossible.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
ViperJon said:
They seem to be asking more for them, the question is are they getting it? Blue and White's aren't exactly rare.
Cough...bullshit....cough :rofl: There worth every high penny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is probably some renewed interest in the Blue/White combo now that a new Blue/White Coupe is due out by fall. I've heard it said that in some cases red is more rare that Blue/White, but if you look at ebay on any given day, a majority of the cars offered are red...only a handful are blue/white. Mileage is also a factor. Most 7-8 year old cars have in excess of 10-15k on the odometer. There are simply fewer cars with 5k or less in mileage. Recently, a Blue/White with less than 500 miles sold on ebay for almost $70,000. I've seen dealerships asking mid to upper 50's for examples with less than 5k on the odometer, and I've seen private ads with the price hovering around $60,000. As Toby pointed out...most of the stuff out there is crap, and it's getting al ittle bit tougher to find anything of quality no matter what color it is.

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/p47d791c313fd7a4344eefaf54eae4acd/f4d48c93.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
17 Posts
ViperJon is mistaken.
According to that chart, there were 1,921 red GTS Coupes made between 97-02.
That chart also says 2,128 cars between 96-02 were blue. At first his statement looks correct. There is a difference of 207 cars.

But

That chart has no color data for cars built in 1999.
I do know they built red cars in '99, but I also know that they did not build any blue/white production cars in 1999. It could very well be a tie, but I'd be willing to bet they made more than 200 red Vipers of the 914 produced in 1999.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
All vipers seem to be priced a little high right now. Does anyone think they will come down a little once spring rolls around and people dig them out of their garages and a few more are put on the market?
I remember the day when the morgue had around 100 RT/10's for sale at any given time. Today, there is like 35.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
defiant1 said:
ViperJon is mistaken.
According to that chart, there were 1,921 red GTS Coupes made between 97-02.
That chart also says 2,128 cars between 96-02 were blue. At first his statement looks correct. There is a difference of 207 cars.

But

That chart has no color data for cars built in 1999.
I do know they built red cars in '99, but I also know that they did not build any blue/white production cars in 1999. It could very well be a tie, but I'd be willing to bet they made more than 200 red Vipers of the 914 produced in 1999.
You are correct, I didn't notice that there was no color data for that year, strange. Still would probably be close as they only made 166 and 144 red GTS's the following two years. We are talking about GTS's here. And in 1999 they only made a total of 699 units with 549 US units in all colors. Again, GTS's not RT/10s. There were 699 total GTS's built, NOT 914. Even if half were red (very doubtful) still very close.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Being rare does not mean squat with regards to a cars worth unless there is an associated demand.

An item's worth is simply a function of the demand vs the supply.

And I think it is a given that the demand for the blue/white cars is higher than for the red cars and therefore the higher asking price.

I don't think the blue/white pricing is new. Back when I purchased my blue/white car new, I was offered a red one for ~$10,000 less and never even considered it for a moment.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,833 Posts
IMO, Blue and whites will always be high in demand because...

they look awesome with the color combo
the color combo is classic
it represents Viper as its signature color (at least in my book it does)
its the official USA racing colors
most non Viper people think "blue and white" when someone brings up the car.
finding a super-clean 96/97 GTS with little to no mods is harder than most other years due to age
the 96's were Indy 500 pace cars
many people who look for their first Viper or GTS thinks of a B/W first
B/W's represent the first year(s) for the GTS and its the car most of us fell deeply in lust for

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.