Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the privilege to drive a certain Red 98 GTS a few times(hehe, I guess Dr Roof being my Bro-in-law has its benefits/images/graemlins/laughing.gif), and I think I caught a little bit of V10 fever!!!!

Anyway, back to the point of this thread, I am 6'3" 260 lbs and overall am very comfortable in the Viper. My only problem is my left knee hitting the dash the whole time. I also have to have the steering wheel tilted if I am shifting. David told me that several of you have seat lowering kits that help this. My question is does the seat lowering kit completely get rid of your left leg rubbing the dash or does it just help?

Does the SRT have more or less leg room than the GenI and GenII's?

I guess basically what are all my options in making the Viper more BIG GUY friendly. BTW I did have the pedals adjusted and the seat all the way back. The pedals helped tremendously, but my knee was still pretty jammed in the dash.

Thanks

SEE YOU AT THE V10 NATIONALS
NATE
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
NATE said:
I have had the privilege to drive a certain Red 98 GTS a few times(hehe, I guess Dr Roof being my Bro-in-law has its benefits/images/graemlins/laughing.gif), and I think I caught a little bit of V10 fever!!!!

Anyway, back to the point of this thread, I am 6'3" 260 lbs and overall am very comfortable in the Viper. My only problem is my left knee hitting the dash the whole time. I also have to have the steering wheel tilted if I am shifting. David told me that several of you have seat lowering kits that help this. My question is does the seat lowering kit completely get rid of your left leg rubbing the dash or does it just help?

Does the SRT have more or less leg room than the GenI and GenII's?

I guess basically what are all my options in making the Viper more BIG GUY friendly. BTW I did have the pedals adjusted and the seat all the way back. The pedals helped tremendously, but my knee was still pretty jammed in the dash.

Thanks

SEE YOU AT THE V10 NATIONALS
NATE
Hi Nate - I know exactly what you're talking about with the left leg thing. The seat-lowering kit will help; I'm 6'5" and I fit fine. There's another big guy, he goes by SUN RA KAT or Kenny, he's a big guy too, he has the lowering kit and he manages too. My experience has been that the SRT has LESS legroom than Gen I/II's, but I sat in one for a short period and didn't get a chance to really mess with it. The interior of the SRT feels smaller to me, although it is nicely appointed.

Hope this helps,

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Greetings Nate:
I'm 6'5" as well. SUN RA KAT recommended to me the 2" seat lowering kit from Northwind Engineering. It definitely gave me more head room, but I had to go back in and add a stack of washers under each of the two front mounts just to get some tilt to the seat, to get back some of the leg support that I lost from lowering the seat. No knee rubbing though!! I fit fine into my 95 RT, but I am only 225 lbs. Some at this height and weight may feel a little claustrophobic. :ugh:

I have sat in a 2003 SRT-10, and I have a definite opinion that there is less room for guys our size. I must say that the seats in the SRT-10 are VERY nice though. I wouldn't mind putting a pair into my RT.

Good luck!! See you in SA. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,484 Posts
6'-3" and 280 lbs here and I had the exact problem too. my left knee would NOT fit in the car with any comfort. I did the 1" drop and now its fine. and I can still adjust the seat forward and back.

give it a shot.
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
THOR said:
Greetings Nate:
I'm 6'5" as well. SUN RA KAT recommended to me the 2" seat lowering kit from Northwind Engineering. It definitely gave me more head room, but I had to go back in and add a stack of washers under each of the two front mounts just to get some tilt to the seat, to get back some of the leg support that I lost from lowering the seat. No knee rubbing though!! I fit fine into my 95 RT, but I am only 225 lbs. Some at this height and weight may feel a little claustrophobic. :ugh:

I have sat in a 2003 SRT-10, and I have a definite opinion that there is less room for guys our size. I must say that the seats in the SRT-10 are VERY nice though. I wouldn't mind putting a pair into my RT.

Good luck!! See you in SA. :cheers:
THOR - great idea with the washers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Clint - is is not a perfect solution though. I cannot get enough washers onto the bolts provided by Northwind to give me the leg support that I had had previously. I suppose I could go try to locate some longer bolts, and just keep building up the stack of washers until I get to the height I want. (But what a "Jerry rigged" way to achieve this.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
I just got off the phone with Mike Trost at Northwind, and he has offered to help me with a better solution. Mike seems genuinely interested in helping to resolve this issue for me (us).

Tonight, I will spend some addt'l time in the garage to figure out exactly how much height I need on these front brackets to give me the rake in the seat that I feel is comfortable. I will report this info back to Mike, who said that he would supply me with a fix. Mike said that he has heard this same issue from maybe 2 or 3 people out of a 100 that buy this kit. Not a big percentage, so I think this is great customer service from Northwind. /images/graemlins/thumbs2

Mike said that based upon my info, he will review his design, and may end up making a change/addition to his kit. :idea: Mike mentioned an idea that he had had about a milled cap to go over the cylinder of his bracket, as a height spacer. Whatever the fix, I am sure it will be a good one.

More to report soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,011 Posts
I'm 6'5" tall and 335 pounds and I have the Northwind 2" seat lowering kit with washers under the front only of the seats to give me more legroom and thigh support. I can just fit in my Viper with a racing helmet. The beauty of using washers to raise the front of the seats is that you can adjust it to a washer's thickness in getting the seat exactly where you want it.

Also, the Sean Roe clutch pedal modification will lower the clutch pedal to the same height as the go and slow pedals so you won't even come close to hitting your left shin on the dash. There will be plenty of room (my size 15 shoe fits just fine) to slide your foot underneath the clutch pedal for driving on the interstates.
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
SUN RA KAT said:
I'm 6'5" tall and 335 pounds and I have the Northwind 2" seat lowering kit with washers under the front only of the seats to give me more legroom and thigh support. I can just fit in my Viper with a racing helmet. The beauty of using washers to raise the front of the seats is that you can adjust it to a washer's thickness in getting the seat exactly where you want it.

Also, the Sean Roe clutch pedal modification will lower the clutch pedal to the same height as the go and slow pedals so you won't even come close to hitting your left shin on the dash. There will be plenty of room (my size 15 shoe fits just fine) to slide your foot underneath the clutch pedal for driving on the interstates.
Shit Kenny...you're one big SOB! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,852 Posts
THOR said:
I just got off the phone with Mike Trost at Northwind, and he has offered to help me with a better solution. Mike seems genuinely interested in helping to resolve this issue for me (us).

Tonight, I will spend some addt'l time in the garage to figure out exactly how much height I need on these front brackets to give me the rake in the seat that I feel is comfortable. I will report this info back to Mike, who said that he would supply me with a fix. Mike said that he has heard this same issue from maybe 2 or 3 people out of a 100 that buy this kit. Not a big percentage, so I think this is great customer service from Northwind. /images/graemlins/thumbs2

Mike said that based upon my info, he will review his design, and may end up making a change/addition to his kit. :idea: Mike mentioned an idea that he had had about a milled cap to go over the cylinder of his bracket, as a height spacer. Whatever the fix, I am sure it will be a good one.

More to report soon.

6'-4" here- so when he gets a clean "fix" for it let us all know.
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
RedSnakeGTS said:
i am 5' 10.5" :doh: and Clint, you are 6' 5"?????? JESUS! /images/graemlins/shocked
LOL, yeah.. In pictures w/ my GF I usually don't look that tall because she's 5'10" too :rofl:..

You know whats really annoying? Having size 17 shoes and contacting the brake when you roll on the throttle. I have to watch that and wear thin shoes /images/graemlins/laughing.gif...
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top