Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 250 shot direct port on my 99 GTS with dedicated fuel system for the nitrous side. I saw a Cobra explode this weeekend on the dyno!! What can I do to make sure this doesnt happen to me? If I have the proper tune and everything, does this stuff still happen? I am not a nitrous junkie, but have used nitrous in the past, just not on a Viper. Mustang motors and Camaros are cheap to rebuild compared to a Viper motor!!! Is nitrous just something that just goes wrong for no reason every now and then or what???? I want to use my nitrous, but still a little hesitant to use it just yet without all the advice I can get from you guys!!
Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
take the NOS off and use a reliable power adder. That stuff is for college kids with mustangs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bullshit..
Nitrous is like any other power adder. It will ALWAYS have the potential to damage the engine if you don't know what your doing. Add boost without fuel = boom! Add compression without controlling timing = boom! You get the point.

However, nitrous will not go wrong for NO reason. Cheap components (solenoids, switches, wiring) and dumbass nitrous users are what create most of the horror stories. If you have a properly set up system with a conservative rich tune - as determined by someone who REALLY knows nitrous... Then you are taking a managed risk just as any other means to extract more power from your motor.

If you're nervous and you want to use the system on the street, do yourself a favor - Have the system tuned with a wideband O2, install colder plugs, install some idiot proof hardware (rpm window switch, fuel pressure cutoff, heater thermostat, etc) and jet down to 150hp. Get some confidence that EVERYTHING is set up right, then add the big pills and have some fun.

Also, if you are truly running a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous, use some race gas to discourage detonation and monitor the fuel level carefully.

Regards,
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.