Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a NJ dealer "tech session" yesterday and heard that "below 2,200 rpm, your battery is not being charged AT ALL. In fact, it is still discharging." He claimed that unless you drive your Viper reasonable hard (above 2,200 rpm for extended periods of time) your battery needs a trickle charger.

I found this to be a bit odd. Is it true?

This fellow also said that he was the only dealer in the NE doing Viper recall work..ahem, ummm, Chuck Tator???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
All you need is a battery to provide juice to the starter.
Isn't it that after it is started, you can disconnect the battery, and it will run?
Like the B-52's. They take several chevy big-blocks to start, but once started, they don't need the starting engines anymore.
 

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
Joined
·
18,149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Really?
I've disconnected it, and it ran, but only to show that it could be done, not for any extended period.
They didn't tell us that part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,153 Posts
i have never heard of this. sound like a load of b.s.
 

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
Joined
·
18,149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,151 Posts
the same guy told he is on the dot org site all the time and he told me he NEVER heard of chuck tator or tator dodge and said "HE" was the top viper guru in the NY/NJ area.

he is a total tool......im glad i realized this before I took my viper there for any service.

FIVE STAR my ass..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
plumcrazy said:
the same guy told he is on the dot org site all the time and he told me he NEVER heard of chuck tator or tator dodge and said "HE" was the top viper guru in the NY/NJ area.

he is a total tool......im glad i realized this before I took my viper there for any service.

FIVE STAR my ass..
Or he could be a FIVE STAR JACKASS>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,151 Posts
gthomas, you would be correct.
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plum...were you at Warnock?

BTW- You gearheads! No one has answered the question ....does the battery charge when the engine is turning below 2,200 rpm?
 

·
Sexist
Joined
·
44,227 Posts
I've heard the RPMs need to be above 1700 to charge. The conflicting info indicate to me not to worry about it at all. I putz around at low rpm all the time and have only had to replace one battery.
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
I've heard the RPMs need to be above 1700 to charge. The conflicting info indicate to me not to worry about it at all. I putz around at low rpm all the time and have only had to replace one battery.
Recently replaced the factory battery. Died when I was starting the car to go up to Chuck Tator (convenient :thumb: ). Of course, he replaced it under warranty! He mentioned that the replacement battery is much better than the factory one which is a POS (WTF?). So, judging from the previous comments, both the Viper Tech and DC are idiots. :pissed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,151 Posts
citysnake, ""Plum...were you at Warnock?""....YES in my 98 sliver GTS. (no stripes)

why?

I find it hard to believe that it isnt charging all the time the engine is running.
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stopped by (I go anywhere for free food! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif ) for a few...had I known I woulda said Hi!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,151 Posts
I'd like to meet some of you guys from the boards but I never open my mouth about it. I should. I always feel like people would rather NOT talk. so I usually just keep to myself.

if ya see a 98 silver GTS no stripes on the way to OCC, just yell ......LOL

what do ya drive?
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
plumcrazy said:
I'd like to meet some of you guys from the boards but I never open my mouth about it. I should. I always feel like people would rather NOT talk. so I usually just keep to myself.

if ya see a 98 silver GTS no stripes on the way to OCC, just yell ......LOL

what do ya drive?
Well, if you stop at the Amoco station make sure to say hi. I drive a 01 RT/10 sapphire blue. Plate reads CTYSNAKE. Hard to miss me /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
This makes no sense. According to this tech, if you are driving down the highway in 6th gear turning 1600 rpms with your headlights/radio/ignition/fan on full, your battery would go dead in short order. That is, obviously, not the case.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top