Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are \'97 Viper GTS Motors completely forged?

I will hopefully be buying a '97 GTS in the next week or so. Are their motors completely forgerd? How good is their oil system(dry sump?) and Will the fuel pump be able to handle a NX 200 wet shot? I also plan to add headers, exhaust, tubes, fitlers and vec 2. Any other mods/tips would be very appreciated. :cool:

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Re: Are \'97 Viper GTS Motors completely forged?

Snake Boy said:
I will hopefully be buying a '97 GTS in the next week or so. Are their motors completely forgerd? How good is their oil system(dry sump?) and Will the fuel pump be able to handle a NX 200 wet shot? I also plan to add headers, exhaust, tubes, fitlers and vec 2. Any other mods/tips would be very appreciated. :cool:
Welcome to ViperAlley!

Pistons are forged, oil system is not a dry sump, but unless you're tracking the shit out of the car, you shouldn't get oil starvation. There's a baffled oil pan which helps with that if you are pulling high lateral G's for a long period of time. For a 200 shot, yes, the stock fuel pump is fine but you may need bigger injectors to be on the safe side with the nitrous. Have a guy who's been doing nitrous (like Tom Welch, BTR Viper) tune your setup and system. Also, '96-'99 cars have a more severe cam then the rest of the Gen II's, so they respond very well to headers/exhaust (like 40 rwhp well).

Do you have any specific questions about your purchase? Mods/tips for buying is a big, diverse topic.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I thought you were buying mine....weenie.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Tator works on mine..................priceless. :givesfuck: :givesfuck:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Clint Sever said:
Welcome to ViperAlley!

Pistons are forged, oil system is not a dry sump, but unless you're tracking the shit out of the car, you shouldn't get oil starvation. There's a baffled oil pan which helps with that if you are pulling high lateral G's for a long period of time. For a 200 shot, yes, the stock fuel pump is fine but you may need bigger injectors to be on the safe side with the nitrous. Have a guy who's been doing nitrous (like Tom Welch, BTR Viper) tune your setup and system. Also, '96-'99 cars have a more severe cam then the rest of the Gen II's, so they respond very well to headers/exhaust (like 40 rwhp well).

Do you have any specific questions about your purchase? Mods/tips for buying is a big, diverse topic.
How costly are suspension mods? (coilovers, springs) I am also looking for a GTS in the $40000 range. What are the defective parts of the car? (window seals, water pump, etc.)

:confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts

38K...............all done.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts

Snake Boy said:
How costly are suspension mods? (coilovers, springs) I am also looking for a GTS in the $40000 range. What are the defective parts of the car? (window seals, water pump, etc.)

:confused:
You can get Eibach springs for under 700$ which just simply lower the car, but many people don't like them because they promote a 'bouncy' ride. Moton coil-over units are pretty much the shit but will cost you xxK dollars. They have external reservoirs and adjustability and are the best out there for a steetable suspension. There are a lot of suspension mods available but you'll be suprised at how good the chassis is in stock form. Try it stock first, then talk about mods.

Defective parts? Really, nothing came from the factory that was utterly shitty. Since you're looking at a GTS, you don't have to worry about a leaky top and the '01's had some water-pump problems, but you'll probably end up with a pre-99 car so you don't have to worry about that. You can get a nice, well taken care of GTS for 40K easy, just make sure it had it's oil changed regularly and was driven by a competent person. These cars are surprisingly bulletproof in stock trim. Look for small cracks in the hood from an improper closing method, look for any signs of a rebuilt/repainted car (over-spray from a painter, underbody damage, weird and very inconsistent panel gaps), etc. Take a look at the rear tires and make sure they're not bald if you decide to test-drive the car and get on it - you'll wreck the car and look like an idiot. Also, if the cars front calipers VIPER lettering is yellowing, it's a sign of track-use, which is not a bad thing at all, just make sure the owner discloses that. Since you're getting a pre-99, make sure the 998 and 999 recalls have been done. This involves additional bracing to the steering rack and front frame rails and should have been performed during the cars life.

Before you buy any car, it's worth your time and $$ to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a certified Viper tech at a dealership. You won't regret it and will be able to sleep soundly knowing that your new car is in great shape.

EDIT: Mighty GTS's car looks perfect for you if you like red - has exhaust mods, ECU and was serviced at Tators Dodge - one of the best and most-respected Viper shops in the country. Something to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks Clint. Mighty GTS's car looks awesome. I have a hand full of local cars I will be looking at, but I am very interested in Mighty GTS. I like RED! Thanks for the info about visual condition of the car. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts

Yep, '96-99 has the hot factory cam. You can install headers yourself and they shouldn't be any harder then any other car, but on one side, you need to be careful of the PS pump and some HVAC stuff so that the heat doesn't melt shit in the bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Clint Sever said:
Yep, '96-99 has the hot factory cam. You can install headers yourself and they shouldn't be any harder then any other car, but on one side, you need to be careful of the PS pump and some HVAC stuff so that the heat doesn't melt shit in the bay.
Is there a DIY write up for header install???

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts

Snake Boy said:
Is there a DIY write up for header install???
Hmm - let me look around.

EDIT: Didn't see anything specific. I'll keep checking for you though. How is the search for the car going for you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.