Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 2002 ACR with a Borla catback. For me, it's just a little too quiet. I posted it for sale in the classifieds for $650. (I think that's a fair price, right?) It's in perfect condition and only has about 2k to 3k miles.

Anyway, if anyone has a louder catback that you'd want to trade, shoot me an email or call. Thanks!

Christian
[email protected]
(925) 639-1973

·
Registered
693 Posts
Christian,

The Borla is probably the best system you can get for the viper. If you want it louder pull the cats and rear mufflers if you have them. The new borla systems have 4 mufflers I believe, while the older ones just have 2 in the sides.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Re: Anyone want to buy my Borla catback -- or have a louder exhaust for tra

Agree with rwhp. Borla is about the loudest. Remove your cats and see what you think or go high flow cats. If that is not loud enough for you, you can try straight pipes all the way back. We had no cats and a open exhaust on a 96 Rt and that thing was way too loud for me and I love loud.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts

bro i have stock headers, no cats, and old style borla on my 97 and he fucking thing has the nastiest sound ever. very mean old style muscle car cam stutter sound, and deep LOUD rumble when you step on it!

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

vipernathan said:
Agree with rwhp. Borla is about the loudest. Remove your cats and see what you think or go high flow cats. If that is not loud enough for you, you can try straight pipes all the way back. We had no cats and a open exhaust on a 96 Rt and that thing was way too loud for me and I love loud.
:nod: I have a Hennessey cat back, or where cats are suppose to be...back, and obviously no cats. It sounds fucking GREAT! One of the best sounding Vipers I have heard. Just lose the cats and you'll love it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Guys, thanks for the advice. I had a C5 Z-06 with long tube headers, a couple of deleted cats, an X-pipe and a B&B exhaust prior to my Viper. It sounded sweet. I know that the V10 will never sound the same as a small-block V8, but I'm just looking for a more aggressive, louder sound.

From what you all are saying though, the Borla is a good starting point. I didn't know that. The system on my car (came with it when I bought it) has the twin mufflers right before the tips. I also assume it has the stock cats in the side sills.

Question: There's a TNT catback with high flow cats I was looking at getting and selling my Borla. Do you think that the Borla with a set of high flow cats will sound as loud as the TNT? Also, does anyone know what the difference in sound TONE would be between those two?

Thanks guys. Great site, great info.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

Ah, well you also have two mufflers in the sidesills just after the cats. Delete the cats and the rear mufflers and then report back. BIG difference!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Carrot: Would I leave the two mufflers in the side sills? Which are better to delete, the ones in the sills or out back?

As for deleting the cats, will the computer freak out? The oxygen sensors would probably start throwing codes, wouldn't they?

Would you stick with the Borla over the TNT then? Thanks again man.

·
Banned Since 2003
16,388 Posts

On my 01 ACR I installed high flow cats and the newer version of the Borla system. It sounded MUCH louder than stock but if you want more then high flow cats or removing them completely and headers would be my next step.

First off I would pull off a side sill and see if the cats are stock or not.

Removing cats are fine but the car will smell a bit more and you will have to purchase catalytic converter simulators that will cost about 130.00 (roe racing carries them) Some people report that sometimes you will get flames out the back too.

High flow cats will run you around 250.00 (pair) on up for good ones. Install is easy.

I would do this before cutting up your Borla exhaust.

Good luck what ever you decide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Toby: Thanks man. Have you ever heard the TNT Motorsports catback? How hard is it to remove a sill?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

TNT is fine, but the Borla that you have is one of the best sounding systems made. If you lose the rear mufflers you'll love it! Cats are worthless too. Just get some 02 simulators and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

TNT has a good exhaust too, but why go through the trouble of selling your to buy theirs? Like BC said, pull those rear mufflers on the rear and take out the cats and you should be good.

The TNT mufflers are pretty loud, btw, but they have tons of drone. More than the Borla.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You guys are fantastic! I'm so stinking glad I posted. I'm going to keep the Borla. First thing I'll do is start looking for some high flow cats. Like you said, Toby, I'll try that before cutting into the Borla. Thanks for the heads up on taking off the sills. Looks really easy.

Vipernathan and Carrot, thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
219 Posts

I have a stupid question. If you take the cats off and put the simulators will it pass CA smog??

·
Banned Since 2003
16,388 Posts

Sancho said:
I have a stupid question. If you take the cats off and put the simulators will it pass CA smog??
The sims fool the computer but if the testing garage uses a sniffer to measure emission levels...you will fail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.