Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 10 point or NHRA approved cage for 9\'s ?

Does anyone have a NHRA approved roll cage in thier car certified for 9 second passes ? Pic's ?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Re: Anyone have a 10 point or NHRA approved cage for 9\'s ?

twinvipers said:
Does anyone have a NHRA approved roll cage in thier car certified for 9 second passes ? Pic's ?
All I know is that it has to make the already cramped interior very tight. I have a 4 point roll bar and I could not see adding any more to the car.

That said, I would look into the other safety requirements (fire suppression, rear fuel cut off, longer wheel studs, scatter shield, half-shaft loops, etc) to make you really want to try to make your Viper 9 second certified.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The cage is the first thing they look at.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Hey, Jeff, I had Neverlift do my 10 point rollcage for the Z06. He does fantastic work but he's in NJ and is usually backed-up for several months. I made my appointment last December and he couldn't take me until March. You should give Leo a call anyway. If he can't do it, maybe he'll be able to give you some pointers/info.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

The best cages in the business come from Wolfe RaceCraft out of Ft. Worth.

Wolfe RaceCraft

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

If they really tech youre car youre going to need an external battery shutoff, they will X-ray youre bar for 9 second times and you'll need to put a certified NHRA sticker on the bar. The bar will make the interior more cramped but you can eliminate some of it by having a GREAT fabricator make the bar. Someone extremely skilled can make the bar hug the contours of the interior within millimeters. Smooth bends and perfect welds. The problem after that is that if you are meticulous, they can mock up the cage, then youll have to remove it to have it painted. Install it, reweld and then touch up the paint by painting INSIDE THE CAR. There are many rules on roll cages as well. Everything from thickness and size of mounting plates. I beleive theres a difference if you weld or bolt it in. Youll need a scatter shield, half shaft loops, longer wheel studs, fire supression system, driveshaft loop, etc. My point is that theres a point you cross when the car isnt streetable anymore...IMO a fully certified NHRA legal 9 second car isnt too streetable.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I agree Smokin,

Just got back from the fabricators shop. Fuck the NHRA !!!

I won't cut my car up...

People wonder why we street race. We try to go to the track, but they make it too hard to be certified. 7.50-9.99 has the same rules.

BTR bar and I'm done.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

tito said:
The best cages in the business come from Wolfe RaceCraft out of Ft. Worth.

Wolfe RaceCraft
Providing that you get your car to their shop. A mail-order piece will never compare to a custom job from a good fabricator.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts

a guy at bradenton made one from pvc pipe and water heater insulation and passed tech

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

Nick over at RSI, use to be at TNT has had 2 cars that qualify. Nick can point out what it takes and how much damage it does to your car. I was talking to him today about a 9 sec.cage/bar and he said you can squeeze into it but it is not that easy to get out of. Much safer and our local NHRA track in baytown will let you run with the cage that Nick uses while over looking some of the other needed NHRA items.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts