Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd post to give you all something to laugh a bit at.

As you may be aware, I replaced my timing chain gasket as part of my water pump fiasco. Their was a minor leak at one of the corners so I wanted to make things good again. I did one of those, while you are in there fixes, with the front crank seal. Figured that at it's age and disturbing it by removing the timing cover it was a smart move to change too. It never leaked before. So, I changed it and now guess what I just noticed I have..... a front crank seal leak. It's really small but it's their now.

Really hope I can get that seal out without removing the timing cover as I really don't want to do all that work over again too, especially since it's bone dry. I really thought that as I got older I would get better at this stuff but I swear I seem to be getting worse as a mechanic than better as I get older, and at 44 I don't feel like I'm that old. Guessing in this case I didn't get it seated all the way or I did something else silly. I installed it after installing the timing chain cover as I thought that was best practice. Was pretty hard getting a hammer up their to seat the seal so I must have got it at an angle or not all the way in like I thought I did. Used the old seal on the outside as something to hit against. Is their a tool that you use that makes that process easier/more reliable?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and while you are in there, replace the thermostat too:mad::p:p:mad::mad::devilish::devilish::unsure::unsure:
Been there and also broke something in that process. Snapped one of the bolts off in the block trying to get the thermostat housing off. Worked on that for a couple of days trying to extract the bolt. Wound up having to drill it out and installing a time sert. Came out good but that was a PITA.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give that a try. Appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts