Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd post to give you all something to laugh a bit at.

As you may be aware, I replaced my timing chain gasket as part of my water pump fiasco. Their was a minor leak at one of the corners so I wanted to make things good again. I did one of those, while you are in there fixes, with the front crank seal. Figured that at it's age and disturbing it by removing the timing cover it was a smart move to change too. It never leaked before. So, I changed it and now guess what I just noticed I have..... a front crank seal leak. It's really small but it's their now.

Really hope I can get that seal out without removing the timing cover as I really don't want to do all that work over again too, especially since it's bone dry. I really thought that as I got older I would get better at this stuff but I swear I seem to be getting worse as a mechanic than better as I get older, and at 44 I don't feel like I'm that old. Guessing in this case I didn't get it seated all the way or I did something else silly. I installed it after installing the timing chain cover as I thought that was best practice. Was pretty hard getting a hammer up their to seat the seal so I must have got it at an angle or not all the way in like I thought I did. Used the old seal on the outside as something to hit against. Is their a tool that you use that makes that process easier/more reliable?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
There is but you can make your own or the parts store might have a loan a tool for it or something you can make work. Maybe borrow/rent one from a local engine builder.

Oh and while you are in there, replace the thermostat too:mad::p:p:mad::mad::devilish::devilish::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I used a piece of PVC pipe to seat the seal...I forget what diameter it was but it worked nicely. Pretty easy and effective.

Reactions: GTS Dean

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and while you are in there, replace the thermostat too:mad::p:p:mad::mad::devilish::devilish::unsure::unsure:
Been there and also broke something in that process. Snapped one of the bolts off in the block trying to get the thermostat housing off. Worked on that for a couple of days trying to extract the bolt. Wound up having to drill it out and installing a time sert. Came out good but that was a PITA.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,395 Posts
I used a piece of PVC pipe to seat the seal...I forget what diameter it was but it worked nicely. Pretty easy and effective.
This. You need to head to the nearby plumbing supply with your seal in hand. Look for a standard pipe nipple, coupling and cap that will slip over the crank snout OD and fit inside the timing cover ID. It shouldn't take more than a few light taps to seat the seal.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give that a try. Appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts