Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A Luxury Once Sampled...
Joined
·
18,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this at the morgue, 3 responses in 4 days and they basically sucked. So I'll ask it here:

I've spent the last hour doing a search so sorry if I'm wasting everyones time but I tried to find out on my own.

I know all about the skip shift on my car and how to get around it. What I don't know is the theory behind how that makes for effective emissions control. Common sense tells me that the car runs richer and burns fuel less effeciently when it's in 4th at 15mph. What were they thinking? How does this help pass the Kalifornia emissions tests? Thanks in advance....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,727 Posts
Lower rpms means less fuel being burned...it's not for emissions, it's to meet the government mandated fuel economy requirements...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,011 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
Lower rpms means less fuel being burned...it's not for emissions, it's to meet the government mandated fuel economy requirements...
It saves you another $700 on top of the $3000 gas guzzler tax.

Or would you rather pay more taxes to help out your government in their liberal deficit spending, patriot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
funny I've never had it kick in on me, Shift before 4 grand? why /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif :burn:
 

·
A Luxury Once Sampled...
Joined
·
18,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snake Bitten said:
Lower rpms means less fuel being burned...it's not for emissions, it's to meet the government mandated fuel economy requirements...
OK, Good answer. But before I bought my snake new I was looking at a '99 in Sacramento and I asked the guy if it had Kali emmisions equipment. He said they all have the skip shift so essentially all Vipers are Kali legal. Was he simply full of shit? Do Vipers sold in Kali have any different emmisions equipment, or are they exempt due to limited production or sumpin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,727 Posts
Your Sacramento salesman was full of shit...I guess fuel mileage is relative to emissions, but the real reason for the skip shift is fuel mileage, just like on the vettes, and f-body's with six speeds...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
vipernathan said:
Every Viper is CA emissions legal.
this is true for new vipers.. pre 99 model year vipers needed to be CA certified, but 99+ cars were all 50 state legal..

supposedly if you live in ca any viper model year 98 or earlier purchased from someone out of state must have at least 7500 miles on the clock, but i've heard there are ways to circumvent this..

but of course if its a 98 car that was sold in CA, then sold to a guy in FL, then sold back to another guy in CA you're good to go, since the car was originally sold in CA so it was CA legal..

Another nearly useless tidbit of viper info brought to you by Eddie N.

Eddie
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Gerald is correct, the issue is fuel economy NOT emissions control. I would just love to see the estimated numbers for projected fuel savings. Considering the type of cars in which the skip-shift is installed....it's truly a joke!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
RedSnakeGTS said:
Craig, the LeBaron does not have skip shift :leaving:
:squint:

BWAHHAAAAAAA


:lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
The 7500 mile requirement is a strictly state law/DMV issue. It is primarily on the books to prevent people from buying a car in a non-sales tax state, or any other out of state location, and immediately transporting it into CA. For example, the requirement prevents you from buying a car in AZ with a friend's AZ address, registering it in AZ, then driving home to CA and re-registering it in CA. As far as the equipment on the car, I believe that all Vipers are CA legal as far as emissions equipment - power is a different story (see earlier debates re: the late 90's cars with the lumpy cams vs. the 00+ creampuffs).
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
Biggest said:
I posted this at the morgue, 3 responses in 4 days and they basically sucked. So I'll ask it here:

I've spent the last hour doing a search so sorry if I'm wasting everyones time but I tried to find out on my own.

I know all about the skip shift on my car and how to get around it. What I don't know is the theory behind how that makes for effective emissions control. Common sense tells me that the car runs richer and burns fuel less effeciently when it's in 4th at 15mph. What were they thinking? How does this help pass the Kalifornia emissions tests? Thanks in advance....
Hey, I didn't think my reply sucked /images/graemlins/flip2.gif..
 

·
A Luxury Once Sampled...
Joined
·
18,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clint Sever said:
Hey, I didn't think my reply sucked /images/graemlins/flip2.gif..
Sorry Clint, I forgot you posted there. I said the responses sucked because they didn't seem to address the emissions issue, only the mileage issue. Using less fuel in 4th gear makes sense but it seemed like it would run rich thus screwing up emmisions. I see now your post addressed both, but it still seems whacky. Don't get your panties in a wad! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
 

·
Focus!
Joined
·
5,585 Posts
Biggest said:
Clint Sever said:
Hey, I didn't think my reply sucked /images/graemlins/flip2.gif..
Sorry Clint, I forgot you posted there. I said the responses sucked because they didn't seem to address the emissions issue, only the mileage issue. Using less fuel in 4th gear makes sense but it seemed like it would run rich thus screwing up emmisions. I see now your post addressed both, but it still seems whacky. Don't get your panties in a wad! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
LOL - should've included a smiley.. I wasn't wadding ;), and yeah, I did kinda just take a stab at it.

Clint
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top