Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but on all the RT/10's the rear factory "rollbar" is that fully functionable in its pupose of saving you in a rollover situation or is it more just for show? In general, how safe is the car?Anyone ever hear of someone flipping one of these and walking away?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
The stock "sport bar" is NOT a roll bar. But, I have seen pics and heard stories of people flipping their RT's and walking away. If you have ANY concerns that the "sport bar" wont save you, your best bet would be to have a REAL roll bar installed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The original RT/10 prototype they build had no sport bar. Looked like a convertible.

The sports bar is not a roll bar, although it will provide some protection in the event of a roll over. I think its their to be able to mount the hard/soft top more than anything.

Don't hold me to this, but I also think I remember reading that because of the cars design structure, having a convertible design was near impossible.

With regards to flipping it.....if the circumstances are right, it will flip, but so will any car for that matter. I'd be more concerned about loosing the rear end in a turn than flipping the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only asking because I rolled an older LX 5 liter mustang 6 times over once and I was only doing 45mph. Some guy was driving crazy doing 75 in a 35 zone and clipped me pretty hard sending me into a spin then over when I hit the curb. I never saw the guy coming or new he was even there. The cops said if I was in a true convertable I'd been done for sure.

So that sports bar is just really for show?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
The sports bar isn't necessarily the issue, as I think that would hold. Its when the windshield pillar collapses that things get interesting.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The only way your going to feel comfortable is with a true roll bar installed. Don't let that stop you, as they don't take anything away from the appearance. And they are not really that expensive - if memory serves $1000+ ballpark. Or you could just get a GTS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts