Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,381 Posts
Jerome said:
Paolo Castellano said:
2. Do you see those 1/4" wide stripes? I love to use those to doublecheck the degree of squareness of a proposed cut. When I was first starting out, it was fairly easy to determine the angle on the radius to cut. I got used to that and was a little worried when I got the first piece of stainless and there was no stripe.
So Paolo, are you saying you prefer seamed over seamless DOM?
Jerome, there is not really an uneven seam where the stripe is. I just would use the curvature of the stripe and make the cut mark tangent to that to be sure of a square stripe. I prefer to use the best materials for the application. :thumb:

· Registered
3,381 Posts
GTS Dean said:
If I were in the prototype exhaust business, I would start with mild ERW tubing for the initial fitting and jig building operations just like the guys a Pro Turbo. It's very cheap, easy to form, and gives you a reference line that won't wipe off during fit-up. After finalizing the design, then you can look at the more expensive 1020 DOM or 3XX stainless for public sale based on customer preference.
Dean, you are right on the money, I would also like to add mild steel is roughly 1/5 or 1/6 the cost of 301 or 321 stainless. The gentleman at Forced Induction did mention they were using mild steel for the final product because it is better suited for high heat turbo applications than 304 stainless. :thumb:

· Registered
3,381 Posts
JGK95 said:
Paolo CastellanoTechnique==> When something is TIG welded with low amperage(low heat) said:
{JGK's wife less than most others-Jay, just kidding, I couldn't resist!LOL!}[/b]), the weld has been done very well.
PAOLO,

YOU BASTARD!!

If "The Woman" didn't Agree with you, I'd kick Yer A$$!! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif :thumb:

Jay K.
Jay, what can I say, it is because my best friends always get their balls broken the most often and the hardest! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif :thumb:

· Registered
77 Posts
Paolo, isn't MIG an acronym for Metal Inert Gas? I thought most MIG wire was mainly carbon steel alloyed with a few other elements to give it the desired properties. I've seen wire with Manganese and Molybdemum, but none with Magnesium. I'm no welding expert so I'm not saying it isn't our there. You say that stainless conducts heat, from surface to surface, better than mild steel. Stainless has a lower thermal conductivity than mild steel meaning that it doesn't conduct heat as well, so I don't understand what you mean by stainless being better for heat transfer from surface to surface. This does fall in line with what you said about keeping heat in the exhaust system though. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm not trying to argue with you or dispute your expertise. I'm just trying to follow your line of thinking on this.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
WV98GTS said:
Paolo, isn't MIG an acronym for Metal Inert Gas? I thought most MIG wire was mainly carbon steel alloyed with a few other elements to give it the desired properties. I've seen wire with Manganese and Molybdemum, but none with Magnesium. I'm no welding expert so I'm not saying it isn't our there. You say that stainless conducts heat, from surface to surface, better than mild steel. Stainless has a lower thermal conductivity than mild steel meaning that it doesn't conduct heat as well, so I don't understand what you mean by stainless being better for heat transfer from surface to surface. This does fall in line with what you said about keeping heat in the exhaust system though. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm not trying to argue with you or dispute your expertise. I'm just trying to follow your line of thinking on this.
Fuckin engineers. /images/graemlins/toothy

· Registered
3,381 Posts
WV98GTS said:

WV98GTS, you are correct about the Metal Inert Gas Acronym, I do not know what I was thinking as I checked the spelling and I know for sure I spelled magnesium correctly! :lol

I think you misunderstood part of my post:

I said, "So, all other things being equal(both either coated or noncoated), the stainless will keep the heat in the exhaust{ie more kinetic energy to spool the turbos} much better than mild steel."

You also said, " Stainless has a lower thermal conductivity than mild steel meaning that it doesn't conduct heat as well"

I think we are saying the same thing a different way. I am saying the heat will stay in the pipes with less radiating out(due to less thermal conductivity{your probably better description}

Here is my vague attmpt to describe a lesser thermal conductivity- "I would also like to add that stainless steel is much better than mild steel in allowing heat to cross the barrier from outside to inside or vice versa."

So, all I was saying is if there is less thermal conductivity with stainless, the exhaust gases between the collector and the turbo will have more heat ie kinetic energy to spool the turbo more quickly.

I appreciate your helping me clarify my post :thumb:

· Registered
3,381 Posts
Simms said:
WV98GTS said:
Simms, I like your avatar regarding accepting donations for modifications! Why didn't I think of that! You are THE MAN! :bowdown:

· Registered
77 Posts
Simms said:
WV98GTS said:
No shit. They think they know everything. Especially those civil engineers from WVU.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Paolo Castellano said:
Simms, I like your avatar regarding accepting donations for modifications! Why didn't I think of that! You are THE MAN! :bowdown:
Thanks! From what I have been reading about your TT setup, sounds like you are going to be THE MAN.

I hope it performs beyond your expectations and I can't wait to see the final product and results! :thumb:

· Registered
3,847 Posts
WV98GTS said:
No shit. They think they know everything. Especially those civil engineers from WVU.
/images/graemlins/laughing.gif I can tell you one thing, I sure learned how to drink some beer down in Morgantown!

· Registered
3,381 Posts
Simms said:
Paolo Castellano said:
Thanks! From what I have been reading about your TT setup, sounds like you are going to be THE MAN.

I hope it performs beyond your expectations and I can't wait to see the final product and results! :thumb:
Simms, I hope it performs like I expect it to, I will be a happy man! Thanks for the support and I will definitely keep you posted! :thumb:

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Smokin said:
Who wants to take bets that someone will be breaking engine parts long before anything hits 2300hp. Tanked, you betting against me or what?

Nope, I'm betting it'll happen sooner or later. Nobody knows how much power these things will take. I'm guessing this comming summer we'll find out.

If you need something stronger...you super high hp guys may want to consider. Have your water passages extrued honed(sp???)for better cooling. Then I'd cryo treat the block, crank, pistions, rods and rings. After that have the valves, exhust ports and pistons coated too. O-rings for the heads will be needed soon with all the boost you guys are going to be running. A headgasket "normally" will not hold much more than 20-25psi. Even if they do, they don't last very long. Just somethings I would do if I had the chance to do my viper engine.

Alot of guys cryo-treat stock brake rotors with great results. I've heard rumors of DSM guys who did blocks like that and are making 800+hp on a 2.4 I-4 race motor.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Awesome info Paolo!!

Good luck Len!!

So when will a Gen 1 TT system be ready??? /images/graemlins/smiles

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
THOR said:
Awesome info Paolo!!

Good luck Len!!

well thor...we were jus talking about that at lunch....and that or a gen 3 car or truck will be next...we wanna do a hemi truck too....Len :thumb:

· Registered
3,381 Posts
THOR said:
Awesome info Paolo!!

Good luck Len!!

Thor, thanks! I have been looking at a gen-1 recently. I have to get a better look at the frame underneath the engine compartment. The single setup on the Gen-1 will be different than how I have it designed on the Gen-2.

P.S. I like the red addition on your signature :thumb: I do not know about complimentary, but we'll have to see what we can do.... :nod:

I seriously have to get mine done, but I can't help thinking about designing other systems from time to time.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Smokin said:
Tanked said:
Holy crap Paolo...that was some good stuff. It took me sometime to read but...good stuff. We need more posts like that in the alley.
What we need is less posts from you.
THOR said:
Awesome info Paolo!!

Good luck Len!!

So when will a Gen 1 TT system be ready???

Sounds much like what I posted, why didn't you flame Thor too smoke.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.