Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Viper GTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I’ve been enjoying my viper since 2018. I did some research a while back and found that people had trouble fitting aftermarket seats in a gen 2 viper. I figured I’d finally contribute and share how I managed to squeeze in some purple Recaro Spj seats

Bought these seat brackets from Wedge brackets out of Utah. At first they didn’t fit but I took several measurements and drew them a diagram of what needed to change. A few weeks later I received some new brackets.
Due to the way the brackets fit in the car I needed to make some adjustments. (For anyone that wants to order brackets from Wedge they should just fit now that I’ve informed them what I had to do) The studs in the car were too short so my friend and I came up with a way to extend them. Used a threaded steel spacer to screw into the studded part of the car. Then we took the inch spacer that Wedge supplied and drilled a hole through the middle. Then I drilled a larger hole in the bottom so the threaded steel spacer would fit inside. This was done because the bracket needed to sit an inch higher in the back.

Automotive tire Grey Road surface Asphalt Household hardware

Gesture Automotive tire Thumb Automotive wheel system Asphalt

Road surface Asphalt Grey Rectangle Concrete

After we bolted the spacers in we attached the seats to the seat rails using 3/8” spacers between the seat and rail. Picture of hardware used:
Glasses Hand Automotive tire Guitar accessory Gas

Next up we put the seats in the car. Definitely be careful here because the brackets poke out and could scratch the paint or interior plastics. Best to use 2 people for this part.

Got the seats all bolted in and tested to make sure they slide back and forth. They fit absolutely perfect!! Here’s some install pictures:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Purple

Purple Azure Violet Material property Magenta

Some thing to note are: clearance is very tight, but they fit like a glove. The window does not contact the top, the lower bolster has a quarter inch gap, and the bottom has about an eighth inch gap.

Since the clearance is so tight in order to lean the seat back/forth the seat has to be slid up to the front, adjusted, and then slid back. Not a big deal if you rarely adjust the seat.

Sadly the seats sit about a half inch higher than stock. Not great for me considering I’m 6’2”

Overall they are such an improvement over the super slidey leather stock seats. They’re are also much more comfortable. If you’re interested in a similar set I got them from @used.racingparts on Instagram. I highly recommend him.
Lmk if this was helpful!

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Gotta be honest. I full expected to come in here and hate the idea but I actually really like those seats. Colors not my cup of tea for an interior item (I like it on the exterior though) but the design looks nice and looks like it would be pretty comfortable.

I'm smaller than you and wonder how that lower lumbar would feel on my left leg as I sit at a bit of an angle due to the pedal box. Some for you? If so, how does your leg sit against it?

Looks like someone did a good job painting your car at some point too.

·
Registered
2002 Viper GTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta be honest. I full expected to come in here and hate the idea but I actually really like those seats. Colors not my cup of tea for an interior item (I like it on the exterior though) but the design looks nice and looks like it would be pretty comfortable.

I'm smaller than you and wonder how that lower lumbar would feel on my left leg as I sit at a bit of an angle due to the pedal box. Some for you? If so, how does your leg sit against it?

Looks like someone did a good job painting your car at some point too.
That’s funny you say that because my friend thought it might be too much purple too. I figured might as well go all out.

As for the way my leg sits it’s not really noticeably different from what I can recall. I do sit a bit at an angle as well but my legs are very long so my left leg almost sits above it. My left knee practically touches the light knob because the clutch throw is so long.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,095 Posts
Thanks for posting about this mod - your successful install is a rarity for sure. :)

I would bet that the brackets could be lowered at least an inch with mods to the mounting tabs. Shorten the fronts, make a reverse bend at the back to drop the bracket frame to just off the carpet.

·
Registered
2002 Viper GTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting about this mod - your successful install is a rarity for sure. :)

I would bet that the brackets could be lowered at least an inch with mods to the mounting tabs. Shorten the fronts, make a reverse bend at the back to drop the bracket frame to just off the carpet.
Glad you like it! I was definitely worried purchasing seats for $3,000 not knowing if they’d fit.
As for lowering them you could probably get away with it if you used a different seat model. With the seats I have now there is a bucket underneath that hangs down pretty low. It’s basically touching the floor at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Seat Installation
The first step in installing a recaro aftermarket seat is to remove the original seat. You'll need to remove the bolts holding the seat down, then pull the seat off the car. Once the seat is removed, you'll want to measure the distance between the floorboards and the bottom edge of the seat. If you're using a factory-installed seat, you should have the same measurement. If not, you'll need to add some spacers to get the correct measurements.
2. Install the Spacer Blocks
Once you've measured out the space between the floorboard and the seat, you'll need to install the spacer blocks. These blocks are designed to keep the seat level and prevent it from moving around while driving. To do this, you'll need to use a drill and drill holes into each block at the appropriate locations. Then, you'll screw them into place.
3. Attach the Seat Panels
Next, you'll attach the seat panels to the spacer blocks. Each panel is designed to fit over the spacer blocks and hold them in place. You'll need to make sure that the panels are aligned properly before attaching them. Once they're attached, you'll want to tighten the screws to secure them in place.
4. Attach the Seat Cushion
To finish the installation, you'll need to attach the seat cushion. This is where you'll need to take extra care. Make sure that the cushion is centered correctly and that the straps are tight enough to stay put.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts