Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is an AEM we just finished. First try at this one. 97 GTS, headers, exhaust, no cats, T&D's, 3 inch smooth tubes, modded air box, throttle bodies. This car was strong out of the box.

DW

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
WOW! Look at that power curve! David that looks damned good - fantastic tuning.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Holy Crap. I'm surprised at the throttle bodies - I didn't think they did anything with just headers/rockers.

And, excuse my ignorance, but what is AEM?

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
_Mark said:
Holy Crap. I'm surprised at the throttle bodies - I didn't think they did anything with just headers/rockers.

Mark, I was suprised that the car has throttle bodies too.

An AEM chip is an engine management system that has been likened to a MOTEC system. It provides fine tuning of fuel/spark, et al curves throughout the rev-range. Unlike a piggyback system to the stock ECU, the AEM is stand-alone, and replaces the stock ECU.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Clint Sever said:
_Mark said:

An AEM chip is an engine management system that has been likened to a MOTEC system. It provides fine tuning of fuel/spark, et al curves throughout the rev-range. Unlike a piggyback system to the stock ECU, the AEM is stand-alone, and replaces the stock ECU.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I've been hoping for a standalone, fully programmable controller. Those are great results too.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Clint Sever said:
_Mark said:

Hope this helps.
And this varies from the VEC1 / VEC2 how?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clint Sever said:
Clint, I didn't tune, just installed it and held down the loud pedal for the tuner. Next is a VERY well known car, then we will put it on a blower car. I will for sure post the blower car but I don't know if the owner of the other car will allow me to post the results!

DW

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
slaughterj said:
Clint Sever said:
_Mark said:

Hope this helps.
And this varies from the VEC1 / VEC2 how?
I didn't know the AEM unit offered a traction control option. I do know that the AEM is far more flexible w/ the tuning than the VEC series. I think it also can do datalogging, but I'm not sure.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
David Weaver said:
Clint Sever said:
Clint, I didn't tune, just installed it and held down the loud pedal for the tuner. Next is a VERY well known car, then we will put it on a blower car. I will for sure post the blower car but I don't know if the owner of the other car will allow me to post the results!

DW
Wow - I'm even more impressed that it just bolts on to give that kind of curve benefit. Now, if you were so inclined would you be able to custom tune for non NA cars?

Thanks for posting that graph, always interesting to see. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
TRAC IS FOR ****!
awwhhh Craig - that just means you ain't been in something quick enough yet....

when you've had a couple of near death experiences with so much power that you can powerslide at 100mph in the dry - and hop out shaking like a leaf from the adrenalin - you'll have a whole new appreciation that even Malborogh Man has his limits...

by 900rwhp you will be glad for any help at all to keep that animal on the road.

Up there - keeping the hammer down requires not just skill but enormously good judgment - that is where macho men die because they thnk they can grab the beast by the tail - because they can at 400rwhp.

So there's a place for trac control in very high powered cars - besides even in naturally aspirated cars - I'd rather hook and win than spin and lose - :nod:

I reckon even Malborogh Man hates losing more than he likes to look tough /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Torquemonster said:
Craig201MPH said:
TRAC IS FOR ****!
awwhhh Craig - that just means you ain't been in something quick enough yet....

when you've had a couple of near death experiences with so much power that you can powerslide at 100mph in the dry - and hop out shaking like a leaf from the adrenalin - you'll have a whole new appreciation that even Malborogh Man has his limits...

by 900rwhp you will be glad for any help at all to keep that animal on the road.

Up there - keeping the hammer down requires not just skill but enormously good judgment - that is where macho men die because they thnk they can grab the beast by the tail - because they can at 400rwhp.

So there's a place for trac control in very high powered cars - besides even in naturally aspirated cars - I'd rather hook and win than spin and lose - :nod:

I reckon even Malborogh Man hates losing more than he likes to look tough /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
:rofl: Well put Barry !! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.