Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were finally able to obtain an AEM for my Viper! Special thanks to Dan Cragin for overnighting the AEM for Saturday delivery! :thumb:

After about an hour, I had the unit installed and the car up and running smooth on 75lb injectors. (Extensive previous AEM experience)

Yesterday, strapped the car down on the dyno and the results speak clearly. This is on a bone stock engine (not even rocker arms) with Jason Heffner's Twin Turbo setup. We tried more boost, but ran into a ignition problem that will be resolved later this week.

A great big THANKS to Jason Heffner for building a bad ass Twin Turbo setup!!! :bowdown: /images/graemlins/thumb1

Now, if I can this thing hooked up, you blower guys are going to cry!!! /images/graemlins/drive

FYI, the [email protected] was accomplished with ~120rwhp less! :smooch:

Sal

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~two1bar/ViperTT15psi.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
now just think if you had VTEC! Nice numbers

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
WOW!!! Very nice, Sal! How's the drivability? I wish I had been there to see how the AEM unit worked out. I can't believe it only took about an hour to install and dial in. But then again, I know you have a lot of AEM experience.

When I get back, we'll have to go for a cruise. I think I have a lot of catching up to do.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
What were the baseline numbers before the AEM? How much power did you gain through proper tuning at the same boost level?

Impressive numbers.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craig: Thanks. VTEC would've been nice! /images/graemlins/toothy

Gary,

Thanks man. The drivability is absolutely awesome. Starts clean, cruises beautifully, and the WOT has a swift kick in the ass!!! /images/graemlins/wink

Ready for the turbos? /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
What were the baseline numbers before the AEM? How much power did you gain through proper tuning with the AEM vs piggy backs at the same boost level?

Eddie

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Excellent! Is the TT being offered as a package yet? Last time I looked at the Heffner website I didn't see it mentioned. /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
FE065 said:
Excellent! Is the TT being offered as a package yet? Last time I looked at the Heffner website I didn't see it mentioned. /images/graemlins/smiles
It sure is ! Jason hasn't had time to update his Web page..Drop him a line and I'm sure he can put together package based on your Budget and Goals.

:cheers:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Baseline numbers will be difficult to determine on my particular application as we've got over 200 dyno pulls that started back in November 2003 testing different items on my car varying from the prototype turbo system to different engine management options prior to the AEM. The car has made 785rwhp/890rwtq, but this was back in January and I couldn't tell you the details as I don't remember. The 785rwhp pull was cooled down where the 877rwhp pull was with no cooling. I was making pulls ~5-7 minutes apart.

The key is the AEM is the most flexible option with zero hindrance from the factory PCM unlike piggyback systems. In addition the data logging capabilities are almost endless with the onboard data logger able to log 250 samples/sec on 7 channels. The AEM has numerous inputs and outputs to add many additional features (knock sensors, egt sensors, 2 step rev limiter, etc.).

As for the gas used, I had a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and VP C16 race gas.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I posted to this on the other site - but suffice it to say it was pretty cool seeing the AEM and TT working togther so well. There is definitely more potential as later pulls were much stronger again but the ignition break down took away the top end....

Who said the Viper V10 was weak?

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

re the website - yes packages are available for all Viper models as well as exotic one offs.

What we really need to do now is get the website up to date. As soon as my new computer arrives that will be something I'll be working hard on. The meantime feel free to pm, call or email if you want info on our power packages.

Sal is the AEM guru up here right now, but Jason is planning on doing the AEM training asap as we see great potential in the new AEM

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was very happy to obtain the results that he have after the first session with the AEM system for the Viper. The fact that a stock engine is able to make that kind of power is nothing short of amazing.I do however want to clear up what I feel is a slight misconception. While the AEM is definitely a very impressive engine management system it is not solely responsible for the horsepower gains on Sal's car. The fact of the matter is that a properly tuned car is a properly tuned car. If you run the same car on the dyno with a VEC2, Split second box or an AEM using the same air /fuel ratio and timing curve you will get the same results. What I'm saying is the AEM is not for every car. The AEM is a true standalone system, it does exactly what you tell it to do, nothing more, nothing less. In an application such as Yellow Fever's car which is limited by the octane that is available in California I would expect to see little to no gain with the AEM. I strongly urge anyone considering the AEM to consult with an experienced, professional tuner, otherwise there is likely to be a lot of blown up engines. The benefit on Sal's car was the ability to control the 75 lb injectors which allows us to run more boost than before. For the average street car some of the existing emissions legal piggyback systems will suffice. We'll keep you updated on the tuning progress as we continue to raise the power levels on this particular car.

I would like to say thanks to Sal for donating his car to be the guinea pig for our GTS twin turbo system. I can say with great confidence that it has been mutually beneficial for both of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts