Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I do not get crazy driving my car on the street & am not planing to track my car I have removed my ACR five-point racing harness the day after I got my car. Do any of you guys use them on the street?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I don't have an ACR but I use the six-points all the time. I completely removed my regular belts. Not trying to flame you, but I can't imagine why you'd buy an ACR if you never plan to track it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I liked the package-wheels,shock/springs,ect.-thought about tracking it but decided not to, maybe I'll change my mind in the future. I like the way it handles with this setup but don't think I need the harness for the type of driving that I'm doing. I was just wondering if other ACR owners felt the same.

·
Registered
607 Posts
intersting. i bought my acr for road racing and 1 mile top speed shootouts. i have yet to enter any of these events as i will need to to do alot more mods to my car than what the factory has provided me with, and so that is exactly what i will be doing in the future prior to engaging any organized racing. in the meantime i see my share of action on the street and have yet to loose a race on the street. the only time i have ever used my 5 point belts on the street is the 3x i decided to open my car up wide open out on the freeway in which case i surpassed 180 mph all 3x. if i never had any plans to race my viper than i would not have gotten a acr. my suspension is very stiff for the street as a result of the spring rates which are about double the rate of a non-acr viper. i have my compression dampning backed all the way out and set on the softest setting for street use. i think the new viper srt-10 is a very cool car but, the lack of a roof makes for 1 hard car to get thru tech.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've only had my car over 150 once at about 4 in the morning,clear freeway with no on/off ramps for 3 miles-checked for cops in both directions before doing it. At a little over 150 I got thinking about a deer or something else walking out on the road and at that speed and I thought by the time I could see it in my headlights it would be too late and shut it down. I would have liked to go faster but not at night & after the sun comes up it's way too risky with traffic or the cops in my area. The car was right at home at that speed and has more power than I have balls.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
FYI - If you're wearing the 5 or 6 point belts, they have to be very secure/tight to work properly/safely. In other words, they are pushing you're torso against the seat. In other words, you can't move forward to check left/right/blind spots at an intersection. 5/6 point welts worn loosely are not safe. I could not wear a 5-point on the road tightly, and see blind spots or past the A-pillar at an intersection when I had to look left/right.

I

·
Landscaping Professional
14,157 Posts
The first mod I did to my '93 RT was 5-points. Same goes for my GTS. I use them all the time. Adjust all your mirrors for maximum field of view, and put some convex jobs on the sideview mirrors.

·
Out to lunch
10,531 Posts
GTS Dean said:
The first mod I did to my '93 RT was 5-points. Same goes for my GTS. I use them all the time. Adjust all your mirrors for maximum field of view, and put some convex jobs on the sideview mirrors.
Haha. You are the one who put the little mirrors on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.