Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feel like giving me a mind dump on things I "should look for".

I'm an expert on BMW's and not Vipers.. this is my first (won't be the last though /images/graemlins/smiles)

Specifically any major problem areas?

I'll be driving back from Lost Wages with the car.

Jim

·
Registered
21,933 Posts
good cars, stock shoks were known to rattle but it's harmless. Look at the obvious places for damage, make sure the frame rails are straight on the front and rear clips. Yellow'd brake caliper text means track use. Scrapes under the facia is normal. 99's had plastic water pump impellors, ask if that's been changed.

Other than that it's just like looking at any other car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig201MPH said:
good cars, stock shoks were known to rattle but it's harmless. Look at the obvious places for damage, make sure the frame rails are straight on the front and rear clips. Yellow'd brake caliper text means track use. Scrapes under the facia is normal. 99's had plastic water pump impellors, ask if that's been changed.

Other than that it's just like looking at any other car.
Thanks,

Appreciate that much. Exactly what I needed.

Carfax shows clean. Owner is a known Viper freak and this was
"his wife's car".

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Out to lunch
5,863 Posts
It's a car. Craig covered the problem specific areas. As much as viper guys woulds like to believe their is something inherently technical and advanced about Viper, there isn't. It is a gorgeous body wrapped around a low tec big ass motor and stout chassis. A fine combination as far as I am concerned. I think the stigma of it being exotic causes people to question it, when in essence it would probably meet or exceed the life expectancy and reliability of any other "Regular" car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nohsreg2000 said:
It's a car. Craig covered the problem specific areas. As much as viper guys woulds like to believe their is something inherently technical and advanced about Viper, there isn't. It is a gorgeous body wrapped around a low tec big ass motor and stout chassis. A fine combination as far as I am concerned. I think the stigma of it being exotic causes people to question it, when in essence it would probably meet or exceed the life expectancy and reliability of any other "Regular" car.
Yes, Craig did cover it nicely. Just wondering if anyone has any other
gotchas.. all cars are "just cars" to me as far as repair/etc. The shock
rattle seemingly has something to do w/ the bolts they mount on. The impeller
can be replaced. I've always wondered how reliable having the fuel rails built
into the intake can be (as an Al casting) but so far it doesn't seem to be too
big of a problem. Then again a Roe S/C does solve it :nod:

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Custom Builder said:
"Wifes Car" Woodhouse has a 2000 bumblebee that was raced by some guys wife and smacked in the front and rear.
LOL. I asked DC about the car and he said it was righteous. If anyone has
any other firsthand knowledge, I'd love to hear it. If it was hit, that's
something I could tell easily and would kill the deal.

Jim

·
Your Humble Servant
9,974 Posts
Make sure the 998 & 999 recall work has been done. The 998 was on all 96 - 99 Vipers and required a steering rack mount modification. The 999 was on 99 & 2000 Vipers and required a modification to the rear differential mounts. Build date matters as to whether your car needed one or both. Your Dodge dealer can look that up for you. (they'll also have record of it if the changes have already been made)

Also, the 99 ACR had a 5 point harness recall so make sure that was taken care of. If not, it's no money out of your pocket but just a hassle having to get it taken care of.

Other than that the only thing different about the 99 is that it was the last year of the forged pistons and the higher profile cam. (which is good especially if you are planning on slapping a set of stage II heads on it since you don't need to upgrade the cam) And of course the forged pistons although heavier than the Hypereutectic pistons used in the 2000's and up are definitely stronger. That's why 2000's and above are called cream puffs although the difference is really negligible.

If you don't like the stiff ride of the ACR, Bobby Archer Motorsports in Ft Worth can fix you right up. If it doesn't bother you and the shocks don't rattle, don't worry about it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Your Humble Servant
9,974 Posts
Your welcomed bimmer boy.

My best advice to you is to have the steering wheel straight the first time you put it to the wood. You might consider doing it in a parking lot too.

BTW, Grey Poupon is on sale this week at Safeway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Hog,

First, thanks for the info. Mucho helpful. I run a business
or 3 so I'm not on here as much as I'd like.

I'll just pass on the rest of the "Viper Alley Welcome".

BTW, I prefer good 'ol American hot dog mustard myself.

Jim

PS: Thanks for your concern for my well-being.. I think. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Jim Conforti said:
Slow Eddie said:
Who is the former owner? Maybe someone here knows of them and can vouch for the car.

Eddie
Hugh Hoard.

Jim
Hugh is actively involved in the SoCal region. He threw a big catered party for us all at the Deer Park Winery a few years ago if my memory serves correct. Ask around on the VCA site and you should be able to get some more info on he and his ride.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
99 ACR, thats a peach.

my .02; make sure recal is/was done and done properly. other than that, IMO youve got the best year of viper out there. enjoy it and race the hell out of it /images/graemlins/toothy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.