Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if using a free flow muffler such as a glasspack vs fancy name brand free flow like Borla has any performance differences? or if the mufflers are just a matter of preference for how they sound? I'm assuming of course that both mufflers have the same inlet/outlet sizes. Does the Viper need backpressure? ie: better to go with the biggest that will fit as far as piping etc?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Roadkill, I put Dynomax 3 inch on mine and love the sound. Absolutely NO DRONE at highway speeds. Actually quieter at cruise speeds,,, /images/graemlins/dunno /images/graemlins/dunno go figure.
My wife can attest to the quiet statement!!!!!

Can't wait to find a tunnel!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/dude /images/graemlins/dude /images/graemlins/dude /images/graemlins/dude /images/graemlins/dude

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
In general, freer flowing = more power. As far as backpressure goes, the high hp cars seem to run no cats and straight pipe out the back - then muffler down in order to manage the sound - so I don't think its really an issue.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
The viper has soo much low end, if you loose a little, you may not even notice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah on a car like say mine, or even a smaller engine back pressure is really our friends...we need the back pressure to make torque(my car makes just shy of 300 ft-lbs stock) so you run no mufflers and straight pipes and the low end grunt goes to shit....but on a 500 cubic inch(488 if your genI-II or 505 if GenIII) then the loss of back pressure probably wont even be noticable, and once you go boost forget it backpressure is your enemy

Anthony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts