Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions which i hope you can help me with.
Yesterday i was inspecting a Viper GTS 1997 where the A/C didnt work
how much would it cost to fix it (worst case) and best case just refill ?
The Viper i looked at was a European sold they call them Chrysler and it the seller told me that it was only rated at 394 hp in Europe to get it to pass all bullshit laws here, is this true or is it infact 450 hp like all other Vipers GTS ?

Thanx in advance

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,163 Posts
I *think* there is something slightly different in the stock europe set-up--maybe the airbox--that rated it lower, but it's easy to rectify. I'd send a PM to Neil-UK; if I remember correctly, he was the one that explained it.

·
Premium Member
20,164 Posts
Schillinger is right, has to do with the restiction of the airbox from what I remember. I had my A/C system just about replaced (under warranty), cost was over $2500 (USD). Figure double in Europe.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If its Chrylser there are restrictions in place to meet the tighter euro noise controls, and in doing this it does bring the HP down I'm afraid. 394 is good figure, most have less than that !

Although it can be put back nearly to the full US spec without to much trouble
and you re-gain a better exhaust note, starting up a stock euro GTS for the kids to hear is very embrassing its hard to tell if the car is running, most over here tackled this problem /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
84 Posts
Airbox restrictor, side silencers restricted, two silencers at the rear instead of one,no rear O2 sensors and a slight difference in the ECU. Those are the European differences which restrict horsepower.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok if its only the airbox and exhaust system no problem i will buy some nice aftermarket stuff. But if there is a diff. in the ECU that makes me a little
sad :-( do you know what the diff. is? and how to get rid of it ?

Thanx in advance

Joel said:
Airbox restrictor, side silencers restricted, two silencers at the rear instead of one,no rear O2 sensors and a slight difference in the ECU. Those are the European differences which restrict horsepower.

·
Registered
18,648 Posts
I will be selling my Mopar Performance computer in a couple of weeks, they work best on 96 and 97 cars.($250 USD) A am going with the VecII which only works with the stock unit.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
10,474 Posts
The air conditioning could be anything. Its pretty common to find bad o-rings in the vipers HVAC system. However, even my 99 has had most of its AC parts replaced under warranty. $2500 sounds about right if thats the case. Could be a simple line, could be a compressor, evaprator, etc. Are there good Viper Techs in Europe that could help you diagnose? Computer wise, find a good Mopar Performance computer stateside. They are no longer manufactured. I used to have one until I supercharged the car, but from what I remember it was more than $250.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
66hp less then a bone stock ACR....wow. After you buy it...I'd pull the out. I know my ACR is not loud at all. All the ricer honduhs are so loud compaired to my ACR. My car is 100% stock. So that got me thinking. Can you even hear a "chrysler viper" at idle????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.