Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased a 99 RT 10 that is part of the steering recall back in 2002, it was never done. I’ve read a few posts from people. Only 6300 miles, mostly a storage queen. Seems the steering issue was in raced vehicles. Does anyone have any advice? It involves over 5 hours of work and welding! Yikes! Any advice appreciated. Happy motoring everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If you going to get it done, make sure it is done correctly. Back during the recall a bunch were done incorrectly.

Look at the 998/999 recall instructions and decide for yourself if you want it or not.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,398 Posts
I'm one of the track guys who experienced near-failure of the rack support back in about '99. IMO, it's pretty much an engineering design oversight where they didn't anticipate the lateral G loading and kickback peaks with R's/slicks and pounding apex curbs. They designed for more straight-line driving. The yellow arrows in the pic here show where I found some long cracks along the bend in the OE bracket. I discovered them on a post track weekend inspection.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

The fix is 2-part: 1) is a strut welded to the frame rail tops and the OE bracket ahead of the steering rack; 2) are a pair of triangular plate gussets riveted to the bottom side frame ahead of the rack.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive design

If your frame rails are nice and straight with no noteworthy dents or scrapes evident, you are probably OK without the recall. If not so clean, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and schedule the work.

Reactions: RobV and 99RT10&GTS

·
Landscaping Professional
14,398 Posts
From a wealth of first-hand experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts