Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Enlightened
28,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'99 or \'00?

If you had a choice between the two years, which would you say is the better purchase? I believe '00 introduced a different cam and got rid of the forged pistons - are there other worthwhile differences?

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Re: \'99 or \'00?

vipernathan said:
Unless you see some heavy modding for the future, just go with the color you like better.
Yep...That's what I was gonna say. Silver vs. Steel Gray.
I'd choose based on the factory (extended) warranty...which had more left (if any).

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

I'd definitely go with the 99! You get a nice lumpy cam, forged pistons, and everything else the 2000 would have. If you get an ACR, you get better shocks. 2000 was sort of a shitty year in my opinion. (sorry, 00 guys!) The 01 adds anti locks, so it balances out the equation, but the 00 really has nothing to offer but steel gray.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

I dont even see ANY reason to buy 00 whatsoever. 99 has the lumpier cam, better PCM, Forged pistons, and all the amenities that the 00 and newer cars get. Other than the bastardized half breed RTs in 96 I think that 00 is the worst year ever of viper production.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts

Smokin said:
I dont even see ANY reason to buy 00 whatsoever. 99 has the lumpier cam, better PCM, Forged pistons, and all the amenities that the 00 and newer cars get. Other than the bastardized half breed RTs in 96 I think that 00 is the worst year ever of viper production.
Hey....fucker! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

Snake Bitten said:
Smokin said:
Hey....fucker! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
Ya no shit! Go easy on us 00 guys!!!!!! /images/graemlins/nono

·
Registered
248 Posts

BigCarrot said:
I'd definitely go with the 99! You get a nice lumpy cam, forged pistons, and everything else the 2000 would have. If you get an ACR, you get better shocks. 2000 was sort of a shitty year in my opinion. (sorry, 00 guys!) The 01 adds anti locks, so it balances out the equation, but the 00 really has nothing to offer but steel gray.
Well said, although steel gray is my favorite color.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

Yeah , i thought you meant suspension.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Go with the 2001 for the ABS. Lumpy cam, better PCM, or not the earlier cars aren't any quicker than the 2001/2002's.

Lumpy won't help if you're sliding into something, You can't add ABS later.

It only takes one save to be glad you went with the ABS.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts

didn't 00's have the shitty water pump as well?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

I wish I hadn't of gotten a 2000. I wanted ABS, or forged pistons. I always thought I went with one of the shittiest years. /images/graemlins/freak

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

FE065 said:
Go with the 2001 for the ABS. Lumpy cam, better PCM, or not the earlier cars aren't any quicker than the 2001/2002's.

Shove some forced induction on your car and post how an 01 is doing when your spark plug gaps are smashed closed and a borescope shows pieces of piston missing fro that creampuff. Of course for the pussies who want to stay stock, go 01.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

Smokin said:
FE065 said:

Shove some forced induction on your car and post how an 01 is doing when your spark plug gaps are smashed closed and a borescope shows pieces of piston missing fro that creampuff. Of course for the pussies who want to stay stock, go 01.
you can change the pistons! so now, i have forged pistons, ABS, and a faster car than you....

·
Banned
2,675 Posts

If you go with an 01 or 02 ACR the suspension is adjustable (ride hight AND shocks.)....now if I could just get the NW VCA to contact me and meet up with someone who will show me how. (no I don't have a stinking manual...and dodge will not get me one...and I'm a cheap bastard...who will not pay the money for it. /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Shove your brake pedal too hard on a slippery surface and see what you get w/o ABS.

A 775hp coffee table...

:rofl:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts