Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok really seriously considering the car I always wanted but cant afford it new. Have a few questions for you guys....

1) What is a good price for a 98-99 Red RT/10 with say 23K miles on it? KBB and edmunds say a 98 in excellent condition sold privately should be around $35-$36K, a 99 around $38-40K. Has anyone purchased one of these years for this range? Most of them I have found are around $42K to $53K on up.

2) I know all cars depreciate over time, but I'm thinking this one will turn around in another 4-7 years. I've seen some 92-93 RT's (with hardly any miles) going for some crazy numbers. Then I've seen a few of these going for mid to high 20's. I'm figuring there is not a ton of 98 or 99's out there, so will this thing turn around and start appreciating in 4-6 years or am I just dreaming here?

3) Do they make any kind of aftermarket emergency roof for the RT that fits in your trunk so that somehow if you got caught in the rain you don't get sogafied? I know I would never drive it in the rain but thunderstorms do come up unexpectedly sometimes.

4) Are stock parts really expensive? For instance I currently am trying to sell my 99 E55 AMG and a pair of front rotors for this car costs over $900 for this car. (not installed) That to me is is just a waste.

Thanks for any replies, just trying to learn as much about this car as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
Check out dodgevipersforsale.com and talk to Marv or Nathan. They will treat you right as they did me!

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
1. dont be so hung up on low miles. if the car is well taken care of the miles mean nothing. its a damn 10 cyl, 8.0 liter 488 cid engine for christs sake, its just breaking in at 30k miles LOL! just get a good extended warranty and its all good.

2. toss a coin as youd have as good an answer that way as opposed to any expert opinion on this one.

3. yes, its the roof that comes with it. you do know they have a roof dont you??

4. generally yes, most parts are expensive, its a viper not a yugo. depends where you get them from, some will bend you over and stick it to you without even a courtesy reacharound and a few others have morals and class and will therefore treat you well. do your homework on the alley here and youll learn enough to get going.

dont try and figure out if you can afford a viper, make sure you can afford to keep one!

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
Those Prices are about $7K-$10K below selling prices for those years. It seems they (KBB and Edmunds) are living in fatasy land. Check on cars.com and autotrader for a better idea. I realize that asking price and selling prices are different, but that is way low IMO.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Good luck finding a 99 red RT! I don't know the numbers for this year but there aren't a lot of them out there, I looked forever before I found mine. I would MAYBE (big maybe) consider selling mine if the price is right and that is no where near 40K. 20000 Miles, extra set of rear tires (new), soft top and warranty until 2007..Click on my Viper under avatar for a few pics..

1999 RT

·
Registered
4 Posts
The red ones are indeed a bit rare. If it's in excellent condition and properly maintained (tires aren't originals, battery is not original, rear diff. fluid actually got changed, etc) and has the optional hard top, expect to pay around $50000, plus or minus $2000. :twocents:

FYI, and good luck hunting one down.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Kbb , and Edmunds are Crap , when it comes to the real world of Vipers.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
viper spray said:
Kbb , and Edmunds are Crap , when it comes to the real world of Vipers.

I agree!!

Those prices you quoted are way low. Definitely not real world!
IF you can afford to own and maintain an E55, then you can cetainly afford to own and maintain a Viper. Best of luck finding the one you want!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
rwhp said:
Actualy I believe red is the most produced color for the Viper, so it would be the easiest to obtain.
It is actually the least produced color in 1999..

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
Hey Jamie,
Where are you getting the info on the 99's? I went to .org and they don't show any info on the 99 except for the build number(549 units).

Mike

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I know, That is all the info I have too. I am just assuming here, but the majority of 1999's that have been or are for sale are either silver or black. It is very very hard to find a red '99. I have tried getting the production numbers by color for '99 the last 3 years and have so far failed.

Just going by what I see for sale, nothing more nothing less.

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
Maybe we both have the only 2 red 99's. Makes them ultra rare! :thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey I have a Red 98 RT/10 too!

If you can find a 98 with 5-10 K miles for around $50k, you've found yourself a good deal. I wouldn't expect finding one for less than $45....Kbb is not accurate for exotics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts