Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Just want to get this resolved.
Changed my Radiator..
Now when driving the car and giving it gas temperature creeps past 90 degrees Celsius to like 100
If I get up to speed like 80 or 100km/h
The temp drops to normal 90 degrees.
Now slow traffic the temp builds and only when I get to highway speed and cruising does it come down.
Is it my Cooling fan? Not strong enough.
Or Thermostat..but I can feel the upper hose get hot and fluid build etc..so don't think its that.
My Overflow that sits in the front facia I know is cracked..so I dont know if that makes any difference.
Any suggestions..
Should I buy one of those high performance cooling fans? Who makes a good aftermarket one for 97GTS
Thanks

· Registered
982 Posts
Actually sounds like it's performing correctly for a stock car and tune.

Check this article as it has some good info.

You can get it to run more steady/cool with a tune to adjust the hi and low fan speed settings. Be careful just adding a bigger fan without upgrading the wiring as stock cars tend to overheat the relays under the stock fan load.

Best upgrade is the 99+ fan and shroud if you want to make the change.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually sounds like it's performing correctly for a stock car and tune.

Check this article as it has some good info.

You can get it to run more steady/cool with a tune to adjust the hi and low fan speed settings. Be careful just adding a bigger fan without upgrading the wiring as stock cars tend to overheat the relays under the stock fan load.

Best upgrade is the 99+ fan and shroud if you want to make the change.
Ok..that sounds promising...
How do you adjust the lo Hi speed settings.
And if I get the upgraded 99 Fan and shroud is it a drop in and no other mods..How about the power fuse to it...I think I herd something about the fuses blowing ..maybe I'm wrong

· Registered
982 Posts
99 fan is drop in but increases the risk of burning up the relay module as you have to put a high amp relay in it to run the bigger fan.

· Landscaping Professional
14,178 Posts
My Overflow that sits in the front facia I know is cracked..so I dont know if that makes any difference.
Any suggestions..
Fix that. The rest appears reasonably normal. Run your car with the heater valve full hot for a while to help purge any trapped air in the system.

• Helpful
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

· Registered
982 Posts
Fix that. The rest appears reasonably normal. Run your car with the heater valve full hot for a while to help purge any trapped air in the system.
This 100%. I missed that part when scanning this thread on my phone. If that goes empty it will introduce air into the system and will cause the cooling system to not works as well as designed.

Also, just assuming you may be new to Vipers. Most of us will suggest to run the car with the heater valve on full hot all the time (just turn the head dial all the way to full hot). Unlike other cars, this will not affect the AC's ability to run or the AC temperature. It helps keep the system purged plus it keeps the fluids cycling which should help the longevity of the heater core as well.

• Helpful

· Premium Member
20,315 Posts
You can get it to run cooler by adding a 180-185 Thermostat. That will keep it cooler while driving, but it will creep up in stop and go traffic. I have a new Mopar thermostat for sale, and the best fan upgrade would be a custom dual fan setup, but you can use a 99-02 fan module too

• Helpful
1 - 8 of 8 Posts