Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member. Got my gen 1 the other day. New Michelin’s, dropped oil, manual trans fluid, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, and differential lube. Next thing is to replace toupe side rails. The fron support tab on drivers side was busted off. I have the slide lock type, and the rails I have coming are knob twist lock. From what I’ve researched I’m going to have to drill holes in the front frame piece to fit them. Any help on locating where to drill, or am I off on the whole project. Maybe I’m getting the wrong pieces? Looking forward to pulling the wheels and detailing the suspension and engine this weekend:)

·
Landscaping Professional
14,002 Posts
I don't remember very much about my '93's top except that it was a sliding clip style. There have been a couple of threads recently at the VOA site with links to perhaps the only source for repair parts. JonB at Partsrack.com may be able to explain and direct you with what you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember very much about my '93's top except that it was a sliding clip style. There have been a couple of threads recently at the VOA site with links to perhaps the only source for repair parts. JonB at Partsrack.com may be able to explain and direct you with what you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah probably getting ahead of myself. I need to wait until I actually get them to see the difference, it might be more obvious than I’m imagining-thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to follow up, the new side rails are a huge improvement on the old style. They fit tighter and when they lock into position, it is obvious as to where to drill new locking holes in the existing front plate. Very happy with these new pieces.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,002 Posts
Tell us a little more about your source and the differences between old and new parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To start with differences, the problem with my original side rails were that the pad which sits on top of the windshield frame was an ear of plastic,which had been broken off. It protrudes forward to stabilize the rail, when the top is locked down. Before locking the forward convertible top latches, on the old rails (with the slide locks) the top is kinda flimsy and unstable. At least mine was. The new rails have a heavy slot which is formed in the side rail, which the forward top frame now slides into. Removal of the posts which the old slide clips locked onto is necessary. Then a thumb locking screw is put down through the side rail slot through the forward frame locking everything together. It was in the forward frame that I had to drill a hole for the thumbscrew. Of course the holes were already in the new side rails so I just fit it all together and marked the forward frame through the exsisting holes-easy.
As far as sourcing these they have them at a number of the usual viper parts specialty websites, but shop around, the price differences are startling. I found mine on EBay.
as soon as I get my car back from the alarm shop I’ll post pictures of the differences. I’m having the old 90’s aftermarket Viper alarm ripped carefully out. See my other post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To start with differences, the problem with my original side rails were that the pad which sits on top of the windshield frame was an ear of plastic,which had been broken off. It protrudes forward to stabilize the rail, when the top is locked down. Before locking the forward convertible top latches, on the old rails (with the slide locks) the top is kinda flimsy and unstable. At least mine was. The new rails have a heavy slot which is formed in the side rail, which the forward top frame now slides into. Removal of the posts which the old slide clips locked onto is necessary. Then a thumb locking screw is put down through the side rail slot through the forward frame locking everything together. It was in the forward frame that I had to drill a hole for the thumbscrew. Of course the holes were already in the new side rails so I just fit it all together and marked the forward frame through the exsisting holes-easy.
As far as sourcing these they have them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize what I just described is nothing new to newer model owners,as these are the side rails you have, but it is a huge improvement over the earlier version of side rail.

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
I have a new set of Upgraded Gen 1 Soft top arms, still in the Mopar box. Message me if you want to have a better stronger top

1 - 10 of 10 Posts