Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the early 93's had an access panel in the trunk to access the battery but does anyone know what vin # was the cutoff for this? I have to go replace a battery tomorrow and need to know if I have to plan on jacking the car up or not.

Thanks

·
Landscaping Professional
14,157 Posts
The service manual for the '93s has quite a few references to a specific VIN number. As best as I can recall offhand, it's around #605-614. There were a number of running changes implemented at that time, but the battery location and possibly the rear fender radio antenna delete are notables. The battery was moved to make room for the "BUX" (export) rear exit exhaust system. Since some bonehead decided to put the fuel filler on the right, the battery moved to the driver's side to lessen the possibility of a spark igniting the vapors. This immediately queered the weight distribution - making the car left-rear heavy and prone to front-right lockup. It also makes getting the the toe link adjuster a real bitch on that side.

GTS Dean - original owner of Nohsreg's '93 RT, VIN #771.

PS - Just look through the air extractor slots in the rear fascia. If it's an early car, the battery will be behind the diff. and plainly visible. Similar visual for the left-rear location. If you don't have slots all the way across, you don't have an original rear fascia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts