Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FLORIDA GATOR POACHER
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM TAKING A SURVEY ON HOW MANY DRAG RACERS WITH A 3.33 GEAR ARE HITTING THE REV LIMITER BEFORE CROSSING THE QTR MILE FINISH LINE.I KNOW WARD REASONER IS.WE ARE RUNNING A 3.45 GEAR AND TRAP ABOUT 6K RPM CROSSING THE FINISH LINE WITH NO REV LIMITER HIT.THE STANDARD PCM IS PROGRAMED FOR 6100 REV LIMIT..ANYONE WITH A 3.33 GEAR PLZ RESPOND AS TO YEA OR NAY.THANX! :dance:

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
Kaps, "hitting the rev limiter before the finish line" is pretty normal at your age. Biggs has some little blue pills that he says get the job done--he may share some for an old timer like yourself.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't forget the other factor involved in the equation--tire height. That's how 1Tony ran 144 with 3.55's; he used a 28" tire and went through the traps right at 6100 rpm I think.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
RedGTS has a good point. You can go with the 28 inch tire and have a few mph to spare.

·
FLORIDA GATOR POACHER
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BILL,THANX FOR THE TIP ON THE LITTLE BLUE PILLS I WILL TRY SOME AFTER I TAKE THE DAILY DOSE OF GERITOL.REDGTS AND J DAWG THATS EXPLAINS 1TONY1 ET AND MPH.WE TRIED A SET OF 28 INCHERS ONCE.WE HAD TO GRIND PART OF THE WHEEL WHEELS DOWN TO GET THEM TO FIT.BOGGED TOO MUCH OFF THE LINE IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER WITH A DIFFERENT ENGINE SET-UP THEN WE HAVE NOW.MAY TRY THE 28 INCH WHEEL EQUATION AGAIN. :dance:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Norm.. Ran some numbers for ya'
Target Engine RPM 6200 RPM
Ring Gear And Pinion Ratio 3.33
Transmission Final Gear Ratio 1.00 (4th Gear)
Tire Diameter 26.2 Inches (ET Street)
145.12 mph

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
SlowMoFo....just out of curiousity, what would the mph be with the 28 inch tires?

·
Registered
292 Posts
155.09 - You get a lot of potential MPH from the extra size. The trade off is getting the car to 60 foot without bogging the shit out of it.

Here is a link the calculator if you wanna run some numbers. A 3.07 with that tall tire could turn 168mph at 6200rpm! I think it will be awhile before we see a viper running that speed at the drag strip.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have hit 146.8 with 3.33 and 26' tires. The shift light was on but did not hit the limiter. Don't forget that even a 26'tall tire grows by the time you hit the traps. M/T has the tire height at 26.2, when mounted on a rim.

·
FLORIDA GATOR POACHER
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SLOWMOFO AND RSI950--------THANX FOR THR INFO........NORM K /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif :dance:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts