Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

This is my first post but I’ve been a lurker for a year now.

I just changed the battery in my 2009 due to it sitting for a while and it was dead. I replaced the battery and it fired right up. I drove it a good bit for 2 days all was well. My issue is that I changed both key fob batteries that evening and tested the fobs to make sure they work, and they do. Next morning my car wouldn’t start. All the electronics work in the car, but when I push the start button, it does nothing.

I have checked the easy fuses under the hood, all those seem fine. Does this sound like one of those factory alarm issues that happen and hold you out from starting?

What should I do next to troubleshoot? I haven’t had this car long and I’m learning it as I go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys,

This is my first post but I’ve been a lurker for a year now.

I just changed the battery in my 2009 due to it sitting for a while and it was dead. I replaced the battery and it fired right up. I drove it a good bit for 2 days all was well. My issue is that I changed both key fob batteries that evening and tested the fobs to make sure they work, and they do. Next morning my car wouldn’t start. All the electronics work in the car, but when I push the start button, it does nothing.

I have checked the easy fuses under the hood, all those seem fine. Does this sound like one of those factory alarm issues that happen and hold you out from starting?

What should I do next to troubleshoot? I haven’t had this car long and I’m learning it as I go.

Thanks!

If your having the same issue im having, read my post below:

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-iii/291897-viper-starter-issue-help.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I still can't get the car to crank. Some things i've noticed.

When I turn the key to the start position my vertical gauges have a red light lit up and are not reading any sort of voltage, etc. I was cleaning out the car recently and put the key in the ignition and it got voltage for a second, so i started the car. Idled fine, revved fine, even had the fans come on when it warmed up. But the car lost all gauges once again about 5 seconds after the car started, but the car continued to run and rev with no issue. So it seemed like an intermittent problem, but the shop the car is at, cannot get the car to have the gauges come back, thus it won't crank.

I've sent the car to a performance shop to have them troubleshoot the issue and they can't seem to find an obvious issue. They are at the point to call it a BCM and/or PCM issue.

With these symptoms, what would you guys suggest investigating further into. PCM, BCM, grounds? I'm at a loss for ideas now.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Not enough symptoms to troubleshoot better than a good mechanic on site could do. My first reaction to the "It started and ran fine once for a few seconds" makes me suspect the ignition switch; but, I know nothing about the gen4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not enough symptoms to troubleshoot better than a good mechanic on site could do. My first reaction to the "It started and ran fine once for a few seconds" makes me suspect the ignition switch; but, I know nothing about the gen4.
I'm sorry i forgot to add some info. The car showed voltage along with ALL my gauges coming back, then i cranked it. While cranked, the dash gauges and my vertical row of gauges dropped out while the car was still running. No revving issues. That is what has me and the shop puzzled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The shop has pinpointed it to a fried PCM. We replaced the PCM and got it VIN flashed and the issues are corrected. The car lives again!!! I hope this helps someone down the road.

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
What caused it to burn? That is weird

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I can think of is that the car sat for 2.5 years in a barn (yeah i know) and I put a new battery in it and it fired right up. We drove it to the car wash to pressure wash all the crap off of it. My wife was having a ball with the pressure washer. We drove it home, then drove it to get more interior cleaning supplies. Once we cleaned the interior, it never cranked again under its own power. Fast Forward, the shop the car was at, sent off the PCM to get looked at and they said it was damaged beyond repair and they didn't even want to offer me money for it as a core. So I never got to chat with them about the possibility of water in the PCM. I secured a used PCM and now in the process of getting it VIN flashed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never ever pressure wash these fancy motors under any circumstance, I just use air pressure hose and baby wipes to clean the motor, although I have been tempted many times but > I pressure wash my old muscle cars that have no electronics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I know this is an older thread, and It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything, I have been working overseas, and I got home the other day and I went to take the snake out for a drive to the gym, and just like the title says, she cranks, but won't start. She has 10,500 miles on her, and she sits with a trickle charger on her. I THINK it an electrical/ignition problem, hoping some Snake gurus could point me in the right direction. She only gets driven about once a month when I'm in town.
Thanks,
MI Viper

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
Have the batt checked first, then look to Cam/crank sensors. Fuel still good and filled up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply, worked a little more on her this am:
1. I smell fuel, when I crank on her, so I'm, pretty sure it not a fuel delivery problem. I've pulled fuse # B14 "ASD" per some of my search results, it ohm ck'd good, I then pulled all the Ks and the fuses, and just re-seated them, for a fresh connection for all the contact points in the fuse box: Crank, No Start, (CNS). Tried WOT start method: CNS, Disconnected the red battery lead for 3-5 minutes, CNS... I'll be back working on her this afternoon.
Tx everyone for reading

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
Keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, she's running, I read thru my Dodge Viper shop manual, and decided to swap the Horn and headlight power relays with the ASD1/2 relays, and she started. I swapped the relays back to their original positions, and she fired right up again. I drove her on the highway for about 30 minutes, she seems good to go, still no codes either

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
That is weird, why would swapping the relays do anything?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts