Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whoa man! That is quite the project you got on your hands. So no one can park in the garage while this project Viper is there? ;)

I was about to suggest you replace the oil cooler lines with aftermarket ones since the stock ones tend to leak over time...considering you have everything opened up. Then I took another look at the photos and realized that's probably the least of your problems right now lol.

Good luck man...hope you keep making regular progress on this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Some updates. Got the brakes bled, new wheels and tires on and fixed the broken knuckle. Car should be good to roll now.

Trying to get it on the frame machine tomorrow and also figure out why the rear wheels won’t turn without a lot of force. Ebrake pads aren’t contacting the rotor and the brake pads don’t seem any tighter pressed then the fronts.

Radiator, oil cooler, power steering cooler and condenser are next. Should be able to get it running after that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Whoa man! That is quite the project you got on your hands. So no one can park in the garage while this project Viper is there? ;)

I was about to suggest you replace the oil cooler lines with aftermarket ones since the stock ones tend to leak over time...considering you have everything opened up. Then I took another look at the photos and realized that's probably the least of your problems right now lol.

Good luck man...how you keep making regular progress on this.
Thanks for the idea! I’ll look into the lines. Need to replace them anyway.

The viper hogs the garage at the moment unfortunately. Summer in west Texas is around the corner so naturally the girlfriend isn’t thrilled about parking outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

More broken things. The LCA attachment point at the frame seems to be bent which cracked the control arm. Also found a bent sway bar end link.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,198 Posts
On the Gen 1 and 2 cars, the box tubing used for lower wishbone adjustment are 2.75" square x .120 wall steel. You can cut/grind through the welds, pull the stubs out of the sockets. Replace with new slotted boxes with stops tacked both sides for the eccentric cams. I don't think I've ever seen these box tube sections sold individually, but with some careful layout and machine work, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
On the Gen 1 and 2 cars, the box tubing used for lower wishbone adjustment are 2.75" square x .120 wall steel. You can cut/grind through the welds, pull the stubs out of the sockets. Replace with new slotted boxes with stops tacked both sides for the eccentric cams. I don't think I've ever seen these box tube sections sold individually, but with some careful layout and machine work, it should not be a problem.
Thanks for the input!

I know it’s a long shot but does anyone with any frame experience now to what to expect quote wise?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update.

Frame was straightened. Put everything back together and car fired right up. Going to rewire the headlights/fog lights and figure out why I am getting no readings on coolant temp and oil temp. Once I replace the drivers LCA and sway bar end link the car will be drivable! Body work will be all that is left.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
Very cool project!!!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Do you have any photos of the frame being straightened or repaired?

Update.

Frame was straightened. Put everything back together and car fired right up. Going to rewire the headlights/fog lights and figure out why I am getting no readings on coolant temp and oil temp. Once I replace the drivers LCA and sway bar end link the car will be drivable! Body work will be all that is left.

View attachment 152178 View attachment 152179

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Anyone know what these wires go to? I’m assuming one goes to the fog lights? I have 3 sets on the passengers side and only one on the drivers. Not sure what that broken piece connected to the one is either. Below the headlights. The wires that go to each crash sensor are in the same bundle.

Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Bicycle part

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

21 - 35 of 35 Posts