Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read an article that said all gen 3 cars use atf+4 EXCEPT the 2003, which still uses the old style PS fluid. I just changed my fan blade the other day which required me to unhook the hoses to get it out. After driving the pump started whining so I was in the parts store looking up what type fluid when I saw that article. I just siphoned some fluid out of my reservoir and it has a darker color with reddish brown. Definitely not clear as PS fluid is. I did find a link and searched my recalls and see that mine was done in 2003. The article said if the repair was done it should now use atf+4, which would explain the color I am seeing. Before now I have always added regular dot4 PS fluid to top off and have had no issues

So, do I flush and go with atf+4 at this point or just add regular dot 4 fluid? How critical is it to make sure all the old fluid is completely flushed? I read that you MUST NOT mix the two. I can't get all the old residue out so how much is acceptable?

Thanks,

·
DEETOO
1,622 Posts
Dot 4 is a brake fluid designation. I certainly hope you did not use that in your power steering system.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brain fart!! My apologies. No, I meant just clear type PS fluid. I am flushing now using the 4 step method with atf+4. Since my recall was done it should be upgraded to use what the rest of the gen 3s use.

I'm still baffled by what the shop manual says to do to my trunk wall with a Metabo to access the evap canister......unbelievable!!! So yeah, that was a typo mistake on my part and I am grabbing another beer.....

·
DEETOO
1,622 Posts
Clear ps fluid is just atf without the dye. (For the most part). For your situation I would use atf+4.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Thats what I'm doing. And marking my fill cap in case it ever goes to a shop so they won't mix it. Be nice if Dodge would update their manuals so dealer mechanics will stop doing that. This thread can be closed now.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
All Gen-3's should be using Mopar ATF+4. If ever unsure, flush the hell out of the system. Mixing PS and ATF+4 WILL cause failures eventually.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I flushed it per the 4 step rule, starting the engine between filling and turning the wheel both ways with ac on high and the engine at operating temp tjen shut off engine and pulling out as much fluid as possible with a turkey baster then refill with atf+4. I should be good now. I may do another flush after one or two outings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For clarity's sake, I'd like to see if I understand this process correctly.
1. Warm up car to operating temp.
2. Extract old fluid from reservoir using turkey baster/siphon/pump.
3. Fill reservoir.
4. Start car and turn AC on high.
5. Turn wheels from full lock one way to full lock the other way.
6. Stop the car and return to step 2. Repeat several times.

Is that correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts