Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all
new to Vipers, and this forum.
We just bought my wife a 2000 GTS, beautiful car. Previous owner supercharged the car, put in a 6 point cage, and a set of racing harnesses. I believe he tracked it for a while during the first few years he had it.
Issue is front ground clearance. Measuring from the floor, I have 3.5" between the front fascia lip under the car and the floor. From what I can find in the factory manual, I should have 5". The roads in our area of N Mississippi are rough enough that we just about can't drive in town.
I know it's almost heretical, but I need to raise the front end about 1.5" so we can drive and enjoy her car. It's a "get out and enjoy the day" car, we won't be tracking it.
I pulled a front wheel to check the front coilovers. They are Koni's, and my be stock, hard to tell.
The shocks measure 15.5" center to center on the shock eyes. Does anyone have a stock unit they can measure? The spring wire is .4665", 3.625" OD. The top spring seat (retainer?) is .75" thick.

Any help would be appreciated, we really like the car. It just sucks having to dodge every ripple in the road, detracts from the fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shocks & Caps look stock. Might have cut OEM springs or aftermarket springs.

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
You have it high already. I have 2.5" of clearance. Some are even lower than mine.

You bought the wrong car if you need lots of ground clearance. ;)

·
Landscaping Professional
14,400 Posts
Issue is front ground clearance. Measuring from the floor, I have 3.5" between the front fascia lip under the car and the floor. From what I can find in the factory manual, I should have 5". The roads in our area of N Mississippi are rough enough that we just about can't drive in town.
I agree that it all looks stock and that the springs may well have been cut down.

As for your roads that's affecting your (and your neighbors') quality of life - Road maintenance is a primary function of government and you should raise hell. When they say something about your Viper, tell them it's just as rough and harsh in a pickup truck or Cadillac and needs fixing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roads in Mississippi, ground clearance.

I was afraid of that (ground clearance) . The Viper has a little less front end clearance than the Fiat Abarth I had, but with the longer overhang on the nose, it scrapes a lot more.

As for getting the government to fix the roads....
Good luck with that!
This is Mississippi. Paved roads are a luxury, half the state is still dirt.
They patch asphalt roads with gravel, then drizzle tar on top of them.
:cursin:

I will look at the springs, see if they appear to be cut. I can always put a set of stock springs back on it if they have been modified.

I've been twisting wrenches for 40 years, so I have no issues with mechanical work. The Viper actually doesn't look too bad, as far as getting to things. The front of the engine is probably the worst area to reach, unless you pull the bonnet.

Yes, we street drive with a cage. It's not too hard to get in and out of, I used to race some circle track, and bracket drags back in the day.......

My wife drives far more aggressively than I do, so that was one of my conditions for her getting a Viper.
A cage. A good cage!
I want her alive!

Now, to raise the seat a couple of inches to accommodate her height (or lack thereof!). She's 5'2" tall. It means I probably wont get much wheel time, oh well.

That aside, love the massive torque. Nothing like jumping into the throttle and feeling your eyes settle back in your head!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,400 Posts
Since you are staying with stock suspension - be sure to torque the shock eye and wishbone bushings while ballasted per the manual. It makes a huge difference in handling.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Measuring from the floor, I have 3.5" between the front fascia lip under the car and the floor. From what I can find in the factory manual, I should have 5".
Not sure if the numbers that you are quoting are correct or not for stock height. The instructions that I know about in the manual talk about distances between the frame rail and a height measurement tool referenced to the inner diameter of the barrel of the wheel.

The shock user's guide for the 2001-2002 ACR model with the Dynamic Suspensions shocks (which were height adjustable,) does have specs referencing from the frame rail to the ground. You might compare your heights to that. Of course, the measurements are dependent on having stock size, properly inflated tires and weighted correctly. Here is a copy of that page:
(hard to read; but I'm pretty sure those numbers are 5 1/8" front and 5 3/4" rear. That difference of rake from front to rear is also important for handling.) NOTE: I do not know if these numbers are the same for the non-ACR model and the ACR model. I'm just giving them as a quick easy to check reference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trade her in for another one. One that will enjoy the lowered Viper.
Can't do that. Shes the best thing that ever happened to me! Besides this is HER car! My wife the engineer has been lusting after a Viper for 15 years, we just finally got to the point we could get one.

She doesn't have any issue with it being lowered, other than that we are limited in where we can go.

We just need a bit more ground clearance so we can actually drive around town. We will still have to stay out of Memphis, the roads are so beat up from truck traffic that anything less than a pickup truck can scrape, on major roads.

There are ways of doing this, I'll just have to dig in a bit. I've raised and lowered cars over the years, just have to find the right parts. Obviously, any changes in ride height will require a 4 wheel alignment.

I'll see how much the car is settling on the springs when I get home tonight. That should let me know what kind of springs it has.

The PO is deceased I believe, the dealer in Ca. that we bought it from got it from his estate. So, I can't ask him what modifications were made. I know it has a set of Stop tech calipers on all 4 corners, and a DC Performance installed Paxton Novi supercharger kit. Runs like a scalded dog!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if the numbers that you are quoting are correct or not for stock height. The instructions that I know about in the manual talk about distances between the frame rail and a height measurement tool referenced to the inner diameter of the barrel of the wheel.

The shock user's guide for the 2001-2002 ACR model with the Dynamic Suspensions shocks (which were height adjustable,) does have specs referencing from the frame rail to the ground. You might compare your heights to that. Of course, the measurements are dependent on having stock size, properly inflated tires and weighted correctly. Here is a copy of that page:
(hard to read; but I'm pretty sure those numbers are 5 1/8" front and 5 3/4" rear. That difference of rake from front to rear is also important for handling.)

Thanks for the info. I'll check that tonight. I have the factory manual, and I was looking at the ride height checking method.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HER Car (and I know it!)

The wife and her 2000 GTS.
She is trying hard not to smile, not succeeding.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife drives far more aggressively than I do, so that was one of my conditions for her getting a Viper.
A cage. A good cage!
I want her alive!
Sorry, I am just a frequent lurker. However, you are doing the exact opposite. Where do you think her head is going when she gets in an accident? Nice steel bars leaving an ever lasting impression in her skull. Caged vehicles should only be driven while wearing a helmet for safety.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roll cage

Probably a semantic thing. My fault.
The car does not have a full cage, but a 6 point roll bar. The bar is 6" behind the drivers seat back with it all the way to the rear. She has the seat 75% forward, so there is a good 11" from her skull to the roll bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
def does not look lowered, learn how to drive it better
I guess I'll have to scout all the routes we might want to drive ahead of time.
What sucks is when you are going somewhere, and you get detoured down some side streets. They are tearing up all the roads in town while they run new water and sewer lines.
Doesn't matter how good a driver you are when you run up on one of our fantastic, N Mississippi road repairs. A 4" drop into a trench that goes across the whole road, halfway filled with loose gravel.
That's an issue. You have to jam on the brakes, try to get turned around without some twit t-boning you while they text and drive.
If everyone thinks the car looks stock height, we will just learn where we can, and cannot, go.
Thanks for all the info I received!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts