Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1996 GTS has been difficult at start up since I uncovered it this Spring. It takes 2 or 3 tries to get her to fire up. Once started, it runs fine. It feels like a lack of fuel, and I have a bad feeling that that means the fuel pump. Any thoughts before I take a rather expensive trip to my Viper Tech?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Fuel pump without a doubt. The pump is pretty inexpensive and shouldn't be that much to change out. It's a 2 hour job for yur Viper tech. Just make sure when you take it in, it has little fuel as they have to drain it to install the new pump. Once the new one is in, your car will start right up like it's brand new again.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Yes, it's probably the fuel pump check valve - a part of the whole assembly. Until it's replaced, turn the key on for about 3-5 secs to let pressure build up before cranking.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Our 96 does it. Cyle the key to "run" 2-3 times then fire it up.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vipernathan said:
The pump is pretty inexpensive and shouldn't be that much to change out. It's a 2 hour job for yur Viper tech.
Thanks for all the info. My tech says $544 for the pump and 3 hours for the swap. It could be worse, another Dodge dealer's service department quoted me $904 ($544 + 4 hours).

We have a big rally this weekend. Can't be having starting problems in front of all those Lambos and Ferraris.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I had your tech! Thanks for the JonB reminder. For some reason I only think of Parts Rack for the fun stuff. But he saved me over a $100 and it will arrive tomorrow instead of Friday from my dealer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed! She fires right up now. Thanks for the help...

A good idea from JonB for anyone else needing a new fuel pump. It's a great time to change you fuel filter too.

Now if the rain will just stay away on Sunday...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.